How to achieve this

NewB

I am a newbie to the stage lighting and trying to set up a stage like this youtube link

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

which shows 6 strands of crumpled/wavy fabric in the background. Does anyone know what kind of lighting they used to light it red then smoothly transition to Blue or different color at the end of the video clip ? Do you position the
light from top or up light or both ?

Someone suggested Chauvet COLORstrip might be used but it's kinda expensive for my budget. I just want to try it first without investing in costly equipments. Do you think with several regular par cans and some gel filters, I would
be able to achieve this just for testing purpose ? With understanding that the color will need to be controlled by DMX
or something like that.

Thanks in advance

You could try a RGB or CMY lighting from top and bottom. What you'll end up is the shadows from one source being colored by the second source and vice-a-versa.

Ideally you'd have a nice RGB LED fixture which could produce the colors very effectively.

To my eye they had some kind of LED source at the top and bottom of the pieces. I could not tell if the units were translucent with something behind them or not. The lights seem to change so quickly that they have to be LED units.

As I look at the video, I see mostly blue from the bottom, red and blue from the top. And occasionally some amber. So you could try :
From the bottom. - Blue.
From the top - Blue
Red
Amber.

Play with it - and if you want to add some more do so.

The "fabric" I usually see this done with is aluminum screen like what you would use for windows or screen doors. You can pick up rolls of it at your local big box store. As far as lighting it looks like LED strip lights on the bottom with control of multiple cells in each strip, they may have some on the top as well. You can use anything you want to light them, LED strips or pars would be the most effective, but you could do it with multiple conventional fixtures as well.

I am a newbie to the stage lighting and trying to set up a stage like this youtube link

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

which shows 6 strands of crumpled/wavy fabric in the background. Does anyone know what kind of lighting they used to light it red then smoothly transition to Blue or different color at the end of the video clip ? Do you position the
light from top or up light or both ?

Someone suggested Chauvet COLORstrip might be used but it's kinda expensive for my budget. I just want to try it first without investing in costly equipments. Do you think with several regular par cans and some gel filters, I would
be able to achieve this just for testing purpose ? With understanding that the color will need to be controlled by DMX
or something like that.

Thanks in advance

I'm the Lighting Programmer on this show.
This effect was created with a bunch of VL5's lighting the crushed metal screens from the top and a series of ColorBlaze 72 strips from the floor. If you need to recreate this with conventional fixtures the fade from the warm color to the cool color will probably end up near white light for a bit. I would suggest splitting the fade so that the down fade is faster than up fade. This should produce more of a dip toward black but avoid the two sets of lights mixing to near white.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back