Installs How to become a sound integrator

soundtech193746

Hello,

I am looking for where and what I should do to become a systems integrator. I'm very interested in doing this as a job and was wandering what I need education or certification wise to become one.

Thank you!

Hello,

I am looking for where and what I should do to become a systems integrator. I'm very interested in doing this as a job and was wandering what I need education or certification wise to become one.

Thank you!
@baileypl First step, learn how to spell wondering (rather than wandering) and write grammatically correct complete sentences to show you're a detail oriented person who proof reads his posts prior to posting and may take a moment to edit and correct his writings.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Finding an AV company with an install department is a good start. There's a ton of stuff a person with little skill could do while watching and working with the trained people. It'll start with a lot of wire pulling at first but if you're willing and pay attention you can learn a lot.

Finding an AV company with an install department is a good start. There's a ton of stuff a person with little skill could do while watching and working with the trained people. It'll start with a lot of wire pulling at first but if you're willing and pay attention you can learn a lot.

This.
Basically anyone who shows up at our door expressing interest and is not completely obnoious or unrealistic in their expectations as a new starter ends up getting work...
At least down here we're growing as an industry faster than we can train talent...

@baileypl First step, learn how to spell wondering (rather than wandering) and write grammatically correct complete sentences to show you're a detail oriented person who proof reads his posts prior to posting and may take a moment to edit and correct his writings.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
**Casually edits the original post**

**Finds out he cant**

**Casually edits the original post**

**Finds out he cant**

I think a user's ability to edit his/her post lasts <24 hours.

If he wanted to @baileypl could hit the [REPORT] button and ask a senior team member to change it BUT, I suggest that the problematic word could be considered correct. I suggest that a lifetime career should be considered a journey, not a destination! To back this up consider the oft repeated advice in the Education and Career Development forum that it isn't wise to limit yourself to a very specific area.
For the op, remember the difference of being certified and being certificated, let that guide you in how much to invest (time and/or money)in each.
Whenever possible, let your employer pick up the tab for additional training.
One thing that should be high on your list is SMAART

@TimMc @JohnD I went back a little over a year and apparently I could still edit my post. Granted I didn't try it but the edit button was still there for me. I believe I've successfully tried this exercise once before by editing an old post and then editing it a second time to restore it to its original. I suppose I could repeat the exercise if anyone deems it worthwhile.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Limiting the editing of one's posts is an anti-spam measure. As either a Well-known Member or a Premium Member (can't remember which), @ron is exempt.

I believe the time limit to edit one's posts for mere mortal users is one hour.

Hello,

Thank you!

I can't tell where you're from, but bear in mind that in many states being a Audio System Integrator is licensed occupation, meaning you'll have to meet your state's licensing board requirements for financials, background and licensing (just like a plumber or electrician) as well as pass some tests proving your knowledge.

One of the comments above asked if you were interested in "commercial or theatrical" spaces; from a business/legal perspective, they're the same thing. A commercial space is any space open to the public (theaters, hotels/hotel rooms, restaurants, office meeting rooms, etc.) whereas residential spaces are private homes. This matter because A) they're very different animals and B) some states have different requirements for working in one sector versus the other.

Another poster mentioned CTS -- yes, definitely a good step and then opens the door to the other two certifications, CTS-I (installation) and CTS-D (design).

A good A/V contractor needs to know a little bit about a lot of stuff aside from audio: rigging, basic electrical theory, networking, proper cable installation practices as well as lots of personal certifications to be effective in the field (such as lift (fork-, scissor- and boom-) certifications, specialized tool training, etc.). As such, your best bet is to get hired on with a firm that does quality work in the field you're interested in (i.e., don't go work for a rental/staging/production-for-hire firm if you're interested in permanent installation -- those are not the same industries at all). Depending on how much experience you already have, 3 - 5 years at a firm like Ford AV or AVI-SPL ought to do the trick. In addition to your trade craft, you will learn abut the design process, how the business works, the difference between bid work and deign-build work, etc.

Good luck! mike

Last edited:
One other thing-- I noticed that the OP offers system design services (according to his signature) -- are you carrying the right kind of insurance? I carry the standard Comprehensive Liability insurance most contractors do, but I carry far more than that in Professional Insurance (aka "Errors & Omissions" or "Design Liability"). The cost for an end user to re-design a faulty system installed to your spec -- including direct costs, loss of revenue, legal fees, etc. - could quickly bankrupt you.....mike

I can't tell where you're from, but bear in mind that in many states being a Audio System Integrator is licensed occupation, meaning you'll have to meet your state's licensing board requirements for financials, background and licensing (just like a plumber or electrician) as well as pass some tests proving your knowledge.
So your first stop is to check out the website for the licensing authority for your state/country. That should tell you what requirements you have to meet. Then, as mentioned, find a company that does the stuff you want to do, and and meet with them and ask to learn. This is not an area you can learn solely from books at home, but one you have to do to get it right. Be prepared for low pay for the first few years ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back