How to control multiple projectors (power on/off)

Wendell

We have a new Epson projector on our church ceiling. We are going to install a second projector. We would like to have another Epson like the one we have, but I understand Epson uses the same signal for all projectors. Sometimes we only want one projector on, so we want to control them individually (without spending a fortune). Is there a way, or do we buy a different brand of projector?

Assuming you have remotes for them, use a wired IR transmitter/sensor combo. Wire one from FOH and tape the transmitter over the sensor on the projector. Then just point the remote at the right sensor at FOH to control the projector you want to control. Shouldn't be too expensive and is pretty easy to do since you already have a way to put in cable from FOH to the projectors seeing as the video cable gets there somehow. Some projectors have serial or network based on/off control but I'm guessing these don't if you're asking this question.

metti, is this Xantech Infrared Over Coax Injector - INJ94 - Smarthome the type of IR-over-copper device you had in mind? I've seen similar devices used, but am not sure of the make/model.

I've also seen paper towel tubes attached to receiver's "eyes" to limit the range, with varying degrees of success.

is this Xantech Infrared Over Coax Injector - INJ94 - Smarthome the type of IR-over-copper device you had in mind?

Bingo. That one is actually cheaper and better seeming then some of the ones I have seen. Full disclosure: I have never actually done this. The (several) times I have worked with multiple inaccessible projectors they were used on shows, not installed permanently, and they had either had network power control or serial power control that we used.

It is difficult to say since we don't know which model projector you have. Some projectors have a mini-TRS jack that you can make an extension cable to run from the remote to the projector, bypassing the IR. With this set-up, you would just run two cables, one connected to each projector, and plug the remote into whichever projector that you wanted to control. Some projectors also have an IR sensor on both the front and the back of the projector. If this is the case, you can either disable the front or the back (through the menu or with tape over the sensor) and then stand on the appropriate side, depending on which projector you wanted to control at the time. I assume that neither of these models has network capabilities, otherwise that would be another option.

Please share the model number of the projector(s) and we can help you better.

It might just be me, but I'm finding that lots of new mid-range consumer projectors are coming with some sort of web interface, so there still might be hope on that front.

The reason I was asking for the model was to see if there was a network or serial protocol that could be used. Our Panasonic's have a web interface as well as PjLink, which makes triggering them from QLab or our Ion a breeze.

According to the Epson website, both models support something called EMP Link which would allow you to control most features of the EX7200 via an RS-232 and (I think) USB serial interface. There are also ethernet-to-serial and ethernet-to-usb devices, both wired and wireless that would provide reliable remote communications to these units.

Bingo. That one is actually cheaper and better seeming then some of the ones I have seen. Full disclosure: I have never actually done this. The (several) times I have worked with multiple inaccessible projectors they were used on shows, not installed permanently, and they had either had network power control or serial power control that we used.
I'm not sure how the Xantac would work; we're not running coax. We have one laptop on one 130' amplified HDMI cable. We plan to use a powered (amplified) HDMI splitter with 15' cables to the two projectors. If we ran a coax for the Xantac it would not be connected to the equipment at either end; only to the Xantac boxes. I'd be concerned about picking up interference on a 130' ungrounded cable.

It is difficult to say since we don't know which model projector you have. Some projectors have a mini-TRS jack that you can make an extension cable to run from the remote to the projector, bypassing the IR. With this set-up, you would just run two cables, one connected to each projector, and plug the remote into whichever projector that you wanted to control. Some projectors also have an IR sensor on both the front and the back of the projector. If this is the case, you can either disable the front or the back (through the menu or with tape over the sensor) and then stand on the appropriate side, depending on which projector you wanted to control at the time. I assume that neither of these models has network capabilities, otherwise that would be another option.

Please share the model number of the projector(s) and we can help you better.

We have an Epson EX7200; thinking of adding an Epson Powerlite1835. No IR bypass jack on the 7200. The projectors are hanging from a 14 foot ceiling. about 10' apart. We are controlling them from our laptop desk in the back of the sanctuary. We have line of sight to the front of one projector and the back of the other. One projects to the front of the sanctuary, the other to the rear. One is an old projector, but it's too old (low resoloution) to work with the new stuff. We won't be walking around them during church.

We have an Epson EX7200; thinking of adding an Epson Powerlite1835. No IR bypass jack on the 7200. The projectors are hanging from a 14 foot ceiling. about 10' apart. We are controlling them from our laptop desk in the back of the sanctuary. We have line of sight to the front of one projector and the back of the other. One projects to the front of the sanctuary, the other to the rear. One is an old projector, but it's too old (low resoloution) to work with the new stuff. We won't be walking around them during church.

May I ask why you need to be able to control the projectors during the service?

another cheap trick is to get some fiber optic plastic cable, just run it to the ir sensor and use your remote back at what ever point you need to control from

Sharyn

But replacing the bulbs x times more often due to the lack of fan cooling might offset that initial savings.
I am absolutely not saying to cut the power while projectors are hot.
More like choose which one you want to use and only turn that one on each day.

May I ask why you need to be able to control the projectors during the service?
We turn on the projector(s) for hymn lyrics or for a special presentation (missionary video, kids camp, etc.) then turn it off during the sermon. Or we may only turn the rear projector on for the singers up front who are doing special music (facing the congregation), and again turn it off for the sermon. I don't ever recall having the projector on for the entire service. This will be the first time we have had two projectors. We also run announcements prior to the worship service, then turn it off during prayer and worship. Once the sermon starts, the projector goes off and the screen goes up into the ceiling.

We turn on the projector(s) for hymn lyrics or for a special presentation (missionary video, kids camp, etc.) then turn it off during the sermon. Or we may only turn the rear projector on for the singers up front who are doing special music (facing the congregation), and again turn it off for the sermon. I don't ever recall having the projector on for the entire service. This will be the first time we have had two projectors. We also run announcements prior to the worship service, then turn it off during prayer and worship. Once the sermon starts, the projector goes off and the screen goes up into the ceiling.

Would it be possible (and easier IMO) to just add a blank slide (assuming Keynote/Powerpoint) that is black and then have the screen go away? That's what I would do, instead of trying to control them independently.

But replacing the bulbs x times more often due to the lack of fan cooling might offset that initial savings.
We had been using a remote power on/off in the ceiling on our old projector, since it had no remote capability, and this was concern as it's fan usually stayed on after it was turned off. But the Epson documentation says this is not a problem to remove power while it's still on. I suppose we could use an X-10 type controller, since they have multiple control channels. But we're trying to keep it simple for the non-geek users, i.e. click on the projector you want and go. Remote power creates two decicions of which two buttons to punch each time you turn on a projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back