How to exclude channels on Element 2

Massey28694

Hey all, hope everyone is well. Need a bit of knowledge on an Element 2. When recording cues, I am almost sure I saw somewhere that channels can be excluded. What I’m trying to accomplish is our lighting designer needs to record cues while the house lights are up (they are on the dimmer packs and controlled from the board). Thoughts on how this can be accomplished without having to go in and edit all the cues after written? And the house light channels can’t be excluded all the time, as we run the house lights as part of our cue setup. Appreciate the assistance!

Hey all, hope everyone is well. Need a bit of knowledge on an Element 2. When recording cues, I am almost sure I saw somewhere that channels can be excluded. What I’m trying to accomplish is our lighting designer needs to record cues while the house lights are up (they are on the dimmer packs and controlled from the board). Thoughts on how this can be accomplished without having to go in and edit all the cues after written? And the house light channels can’t be excluded all the time, as we run the house lights as part of our cue setup. Appreciate the assistance!
@Massey28694
Not specific to an Element 2. One trick you can often use is:
Devote two sub-masters to house light control; personally, I always choose two sub-masters next to each other.
You set one submaster to be a normal, additive sub and put your house lights in it at your desired 'house full' level.
Make the second sub-master INHIBITIVE and also put only your house light dimmer channel(s) in it.
Both subs up, your house lights will ALWAYS illuminate.
Both subs down, your house lights will NEVER illuminate
(regardless of whether they're recorded in a cue or not.)
The normal, additive, sub will always try to force your house light channels on.
The INHIBITIVE sub will ALWAYS force your house light channels OFF.
Using two subs next to each other makes it easy to operate with one hand.
Inhibitive subs are useful for many things: Temporarily keeping a channel from illuminating if / when its focus has inadvertently shifted, and / or it's been gelled an incorrect color, and / or a lamp is near death, nova-ing, and far, FAR, FAR too bright for scenes it's used in.
It's also a useful trick to use when a scroller has been inadvertently recorded in an incorrect color.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Several options to do this. One way:

If your HL channels, are, say, 1-10 and everything else is 11-20.
11 thru 20 [Record] (cue #) [Enter]

You could also record all of your non HL into a group first to save a few keystrokes.

11-20 [Record] [Group] 1 [Enter]
Then it would be:
[Group] 1 [Record] (cue #) [Enter]

These methods would exclude the HL from cues you do not want them to be in. When you come to a cue you do want them in, then use your normal record cue syntax, without specifying specific channels to be included.

It seems like I ought to give you a nudge here.. generally it's a bad idea to program and record cues in a non show circumstance (IE with worklights and houselights on) as, once you do turn them off, you'll find that everything looks wrong and you'll have to re-cue the entire show.
I understand that there are *Reasons*, tight production schedules, the set folks need to be able to see to build, whatever.. but every time we've tried to forego the whole long Q2Q day in the dark, we wind up in overtime fixing everything.

Also, at least in light factory, there is a way to edit the cue list from the tracking sheet, so taking those channels out would be as easy as selecting a few columns and typing 0%. (instead of going cue to cue and manually adjusting the channels and re-recording)

It seems like I ought to give you a nudge here.. generally it's a bad idea to program and record cues in a non show circumstance (IE with worklights and houselights on) as, once you do turn them off, you'll find that everything looks wrong and you'll have to re-cue the entire show.
I understand that there are *Reasons*, tight production schedules, the set folks need to be able to see to build, whatever.. but every time we've tried to forego the whole long Q2Q day in the dark, we wind up in overtime fixing everything.

Also, at least in light factory, there is a way to edit the cue list from the tracking sheet, so taking those channels out would be as easy as selecting a few columns and typing 0%. (instead of going cue to cue and manually adjusting the channels and re-recording)[/Q
All good advice, thank you! We’ll try these to see what works best. And Lynnchesque, I think you hit the nail on the head!

Also, at least in light factory, there is a way to edit the cue list from the tracking sheet, so taking those channels out would be as easy as selecting a few columns and typing 0%. (instead of going cue to cue and manually adjusting the channels and re-recording)

In blind:
Cue X thru Y enter
Channel A @ B enter
Live

or in live:
Channel A @ B enter
Channel A Update Cue X Thru Y enter

Depending on if you live in cue only or track, you might want to append that modifier to your command line so that you get your desired result.

If you're removing values/move instructions, you should use @enter instead of @0. @0 is explictily telling the console you want the light to be at 0. @enter is explicitly telling the console you do not want the light to change in the current cue.

Also--in general, the eos software is greedy by default with all commands. If you don't tell it differently, it will capture all values when recording cues/palettes/presets/subs/etc. However, you can precede all record/update commands with a channel selection. This can be positive (1-10 record cue 1 captures only the values in channels 1-10) or negative (-6 thru 12 record cue 2 captures the values for everything that isn't channels 6 thru 12).

Hey Massey,

As Scott T mentioned later in this thread doing an Exclude on a Submaster with your House Lights in it is the best option. Especially with an Element 2 and 40 faders. The nice option is the Submaster being up is what's causing the house lights to be excluded from being recorded. If you do need to record your Preshow/Intermission/Post Show looks you can still manually type the house light channel/group and those values will be saved when you record a cue. I think this is a great solution for your question, but everything else mentioned in the thread is also valid, but involves a bit more work.

Hope this helps!

Hit SUB SUB to et into your editor and select the following for your houselight submaster.

upload_2019-8-21_12-3-8.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back