The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

How to Get a resident Job?

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by lighttechie5948, May 21, 2007.

1. lighttechie5948

lighttechie5948 Active Member

ok, so i've been working at a theatre and have been designing all the children theatre shows for the past season. I want to have the official title of Resident children's Theatre LD. I wanted to know the best way to ask the Executive Director for the title.

2. stantonsound

stantonsound Active Member

It sounds like you have a good start on the position already, since you are designing all of the shows. Are you looking for a pay increase, a permanent job, or just the title? I would suggest talking to the powers that be, asking them if they are happy with your work, and talking to them about the position. I always feel that the direct approach is best, rather than beating around the bush and hinting at it.

lighttechie5948 likes this.
  3. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    Most theater folks I know are real straight shooters. So I would just find an appropriate way to ask.

4. lighttechie5948

Just the title and the garentee that all of the children's theatre shows are mine

5. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Controls Technician - TAIT Towers
    Like Footer says, just ask, it can't hurt. Especially since you are not asking for more money, that might be a little different. The title and exclusivity shouldn't be to hard to pitch to the powers that be.

As long as your theatre isn't bogged down under politics like mine that says that for a reason still unknown to me, there are only two full time staff who don't get their names on their office doors, and that is myself and the music director...

6. lighttechie5948

Thank you, and also i am not asking for more money because i don't get paid for children's productions, only for big special events.

7. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

I don't remember posting here, but thats what I would have said anyway.... I doubt you will find people wanting to fight you to light a children's show, that is something that usually falls to the ME or AME. People will give titles to anyone, a garbage man might call himself a sanitation engineer, but he still picks up the garbage.

8. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.

Soooo True! Around here we have so many Departments of One. Everyone is a Manager of.... or Director of ..... Titles Look good on a resume', their cost effective. Ask and it shall < probably> be yours....

9. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Controls Technician - TAIT Towers
    Wow, guess I was real sharp when I posted this morning...