How to get high outside

rphilip

I work at a University and particularly in this era of COVID we keep getting requests for outdoor programs in the evenings and it seems that trend may continue.

I want some way to get a few lights up "high". 15' might do it if needs to, 20-25' would be better. I hope to put a 10' stick of truss up on 1 lift with the weight capacity to hang 4-6 lights (S4Par, S4LED, etc) and a pair of speakers (SRM450 or similar). 400 lb would be cutting it close but might do. Lifts might some times be left assembled overnight but cranked down, I don't see any reason they would be left up and un-attended.

I know that Genie ST25's get used alot (and I've rented them in the past) but I've read many people who say "indoor use only". I've not seen a statement to that effect from Genie however in the manuals I've looked at.

Is it ok to use ST25's for things like this? If not what other products are acceptable?

Thanks

Philip

I have seen the used outdoors but not with 10’ sticks just 8s. Obviously make sure you are on as level solid ground as you can be and balance your load evenly. If you are gonna pull them on grass I would bring a few sheets of plywood and leave the last one under it for some extra stability. I’m not sure what the weight limit is for the ST25 so just read the specs and you will be fine.

ST-25's do seem to be the goto. Doesn't mean it is safe.

One of the reasons for "indoor use only" is that Genie has not provided wind load ratings. What wind speed is safe for an ST-25? Genie won't tell you, because they don't want the liability. And it is compounded by different loads, with different balance points...
If you have a 10' truss with some lights and speakers, what is the safe wind speed? How does soil structure affect wind speed? In addition to insuring that the surface it s on is level... you have to make sure the surface is strong... Outriggers can push through soft soil. Wind can exacerbate it.

A licensed engineer can sign off on your specific use case. ST-25's can be safe, but you need someone qualified to make that determination.

Good luck

Here is the load rating.
A3EDC1AA-5C8E-41A2-AE87-AB93673E790B.jpeg

@Amiers what wind speeds are those load ratings for?
What soil profiles are those ratings good for?

ST-25's do seem to be the goto. Doesn't mean it is safe.

One of the reasons for "indoor use only" is that Genie has not provided wind load ratings. What wind speed is safe for an ST-25? Genie won't tell you, because they don't want the liability. And it is compounded by different loads, with different balance points...
If you have a 10' truss with some lights and speakers, what is the safe wind speed? How does soil structure affect wind speed? In addition to insuring that the surface it s on is level... you have to make sure the surface is strong... Outriggers can push through soft soil. Wind can exacerbate it.

A licensed engineer can sign off on your specific use case. ST-25's can be safe, but you need someone qualified to make that determination.

Good luck
I cannot "plus 1" this enough. Ronald is really on target here. I don't know for sure there's enough info on your intended application to really give a good answer via the ol' interwebs.

@Amiers what wind speeds are those load ratings for?
What soil profiles are those ratings good for?
Even they don’t say. On the quick directions. So I don’t have an answer besides follow the directions and don’t be unsafe.

6FD3BC52-3074-4E93-AC78-D26DA9BB6438.jpeg

You can use a ST25 outside, but the potential for needing guy wires is high, and that will decrease the lifting capacity. There are other alternatives to the ST25, such as the Work Pro lifters which have a rating for outdoor use, and also have a slick interlock system that gets you more capacity. Then there is the truss option. Any of the good manufactures can design a nice single tower system rated for outdoor use. Likely to be used with an electric chain hoist, for which your (or someone else's) arms will be thankful.

All options will require a written weather action plan for use. This will prescribe what actions are to be taken based on the weather.

Wow, that's bright (and waaaaaay over kill for my needs).
Well, I hate for people to think that drag racing isn't an option for their event. :)

I think I brought these up once before, maybe a different topic.
What you want are temporary traffic light pole bases. They're precast and used when a stoplight or lightpole is getting moved or replaced.
Same guidance applies where the base you're putting this on should be totally solid. When in doubt, rent more and bolt them together.
E52-23.jpg
edit: egregious spelling

You guys have NO IDEA the amount of restraint I am currently practicing. A set-up line like this only comes along so many times in a guys life....

You guys have NO IDEA the amount of restraint I am currently practicing. A set-up line like this only comes along so many times in a guys life....
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if the original poster lived in Oregon he wouldn't have to ask this question.

You can use a ST25 outside, but the potential for needing guy wires is high, and that will decrease the lifting capacity. There are other alternatives to the ST25, such as the Work Pro lifters which have a rating for outdoor use, and also have a slick interlock system that gets you more capacity. Then there is the truss option. Any of the good manufactures can design a nice single tower system rated for outdoor use. Likely to be used with an electric chain hoist, for which your (or someone else's) arms will be thankful.

All options will require a written weather action plan for use. This will prescribe what actions are to be taken based on the weather.
I guess I need to take a closer look at the Work Pro lifts. Is it "easy" to buy the them in the US, from a quick look it appears it's harder to get than Genie.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if the original poster lived in Oregon he wouldn't have to ask this question.
This is one of those times where I can't say "pun not intended" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back