Conventional Fixtures How to Get Rid of Kliegl Lights

We have about 20 Kliegel ellipsoidals that were handed down to us from Radio City Music Hall....We just don't use them anymore, mostly because we don't think they are safe.

I was just wondering how in the world to get rid of them, and possibly make a little bit of money at the same time. My feeling is that the best place for them would be in a collectors basement or in an eatery that decorates in an eclectic style...

How would you go about getting rid of them?

We have about 20 Kliegel ellipsoidals that were handed down to us from Radio City Music Hall....We just don't use them anymore, mostly because we don't think they are safe.

I was just wondering how in the world to get rid of them, and possibly make a little bit of money at the same time. My feeling is that the best place for them would be in a collectors basement or in an eatery that decorates in an eclectic style...

How would you go about getting rid of them?

1st off why don't you think they're safe?

2nd off the best way to dispose of them would be to contact a local scrap metal yard and make a little money off of them.

They are not safe because the internal wires are melted, the sockets need to be replaced, the paint on them is not fire resistant, and other such things....

...My feeling is that the best place for them would be in a collector's basement ...
Please post a list, and/or pictures. I'm interested. PM me. Are any 1355/8? or 1357/8?
proxy.php

Don't scrap them; they're HISTORY! Go to Kliegl Bros. Universal Electric Stage Lighting Company for more identification.

Im interested in a couple of them if you are looking to sell them. PM sent.

Looking more closely at the picture I posted: Isn't it interesting that in 1965, Grounding was an option? Probably cost a lot more for that extra, asbestos-covered, wire, too! And what exactly is an Iris Shutter? Yes, kiddies, there WAS a time when an ERS could come with shutters, iris, or pattern slot, but only one at a time! The 1365 did not support templates, one had to open the fixture and paper clip them into the gate. Makes one take extra care to get the proper orientation the first time!

Good times, fond memories. Love the 750/T14 lamp--medium bipost, and very susceptible to becoming "pregnant". Should have used a truss condom. Boy, is my mind is in the gutter today!:oops:

Upon closer inspection, I believe these are the lights we have....

And we have more than I thought; the number is closer to 30.....

Pictures still to come (when I can get this site to accept some form that I have)

Upon closer inspection, I believe these are the lights we have....

And we have more than I thought; the number is closer to 30.....

Pictures still to come (when I can get this site to accept some form that I have)

Oh snap...is that a step lens?

Well what you do is get some shower door glass(un-tempered I think), cut it into ~3" circles, point light at a close wall(or somebody you really, really, Really don't like), insert cut glass into the gate, circuit the unit, get far away and put lamp at full. Then, you have created a Leko cannon...LOL:p

Of course it is. It's impractical to manufacture plano convex lenses in that focal length and diameter. Since the glass in the middle doesn't matter, why not remove it and make the lens out of pressed instead of ground glass and save a bunch of money? Optics for theatre lights don't need to be that precise--we're not talking telescopes here, like the Hubble...oh, wait...:(

Last edited:
Well, normally, I'd say fix em up and use em, because well, that's what I do, BUT:

The T lamp was one of the worst periods in ERS development. An ERS needs a point source, not a linear filament! That said, I wouldn't junk em, just yet, for three reasons:

1) Ya never know when you might needa crap light to shoot light out one end.

2) Radio City connection could have interest for collectors.

3) This board is populated by a number of old lighting junkies who would love one from your "collection".

30 ain't bad at all. That makes them entirely more useable that just 1 or 2. With 30, you could feasibly use them as a complete system.

Well, normally, I'd say fix em up and use em, because well, that's what I do...

Another couple of reasons for why I am getting rid of them is because they are taking up space that will be torn down soon and I have so much other stuff to fix that pushes these really far down the line because they aren't necessary.

Tearing down a space? Are you getting a new space soon? Will it be properly equipped? Because if your new space isn't so nicely equipped, and believe me, that does happen, you might be still wishing you had those Kliegls. Out of interest, what else is on your repair docket?

The space we are getting will be very well equipped. We just bought a congo to start things off...the lights and stuff that we will add to what is currently hanging will come in about a year. Being equipped will not be a problem.

The shortened version of things that must be done (believe me, this list has been made very short because I don't really feel like listing everything):
2 Projectors, 2 cameras, soldering about 50 cable ends, 2 amps, (i just noticed, things are dying in twos), 2 vl 1k, nexia bi-amp, user manuals for various pieces of equipment, normanl maintenance (projector filters, lights, etc.), getting ADATs installed, relocate recording mixer, finish control room, installing a few dpdt switches, all the things that go with getting ready for a building project, eh, i think thats enough of a list for now...

Ok, so when are you sending me one of those Kliegls?

The space we are getting will be very well equipped. We just bought a congo to start things off...

Insert typical contradiction joke here.

yes i know other people actually like these consoles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back