Microphones How to Handle Difficult Live Choir and Difficult MD

Why is the chior not on the stage ..... and putting mics in front of the speaks and they are louder that the choir makes it hard

If a choir cannot hear themselves without monitors then there is a problem no one besides the MD can fix. I would be hesitant to even put soloists in a wedge in most situations. While certain styles of choir music lend themselves to close micing a soloist, most of the groups I have worked with tend to use placement and distance to the mic to get soloists out in front. As to how to make the MD understand I would try and get time in the venue with just the MD and choir and show them the differences is sound with and without monitors and in their favored position as opposed to onstage. Another thought is to go to where they rehearse. Do they use mics and monitors there? If they are able to balance themselves unamplified and hear themselves then you need to make the MD realize that your job is to reinforce their sound. If the MD is not willing to work with you then I don't know what to say. Play to his ego, make him think that your job is to make the choir sound like angels, just get him to trust in your ability to make them sound good.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice John. It's definitely helpful when I get to hear more input from more experienced people! :)

I have a production meeting coming up with this guy, I'll remember what you guys have been saying...

Thanks again, all of you! I do appreciate it!

Choir monitor, previously, was the TB mic (obviously), solos, and a tiny bit of the instruments that they may be singing with (keys, acoustic, etc). Unfortunately, I have to argue every time because they want the entire choir coming back through the monitor. The entire thing. Unfortunately, MD's needs always win and I have to return the entire mix to them. (Diplomatic an non-technical problem here, I know...) I may just cut it out for the next show and see if they notice, or at least reduce it significantly.

I have no idea how this place is hardwired, but after some testing a little while ago it looks like centre is a mono feed, even though there are only LR outputs to the system.

I'll try some of your suggestions! Quick question for all of you: are overheads going to be better than handhelds for each singer? I've done larger choirs before, and have never had to give each person their own mic... Sometimes two people will share, but typically I've always gone for XY and whatever is needed for solos.

In theory, the "overhead"s should work fine with the group on risers. I would not use an XY pair (closely spaced stereo pair). First off, don't mix this in stereo. I would use two, widely spaced overheads. The reason is the spaced pair will reduce the distance to many of the singers. The XY pair will get a poor blend of more of the middle of the choir unless they are placed further away, and that reduces acoustic gain. You want the whole choir, and you need maximum acoustic input.

Make sure you have the choir mics out of the monitors as you adjust for maximum level before feedback in the mains. If the MD insists on having the choir in the monitors, add them until you get feedback then reduce until you have a healthy margin. The monitors get what they get because they are secondary to what the audience hears. (If this weren't a choir, I wouldn't say that but this is a unique situation.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back