How to make pinspot bars

Hey everyone,
Some time back I came across a post outlining how to make pinspot bars. I have been searching for a few days and still cannot find it, can anyone remember and link me to it?

thanks,

Thanks guys. I thought someone had posted a step by step, maybe I was wrong. Do you guys wire pinspots in series like ACLs? I've not seen inside a bar, but I have seen some companies just zip tie a powerstrip to the bar (not what I want to do).

Unistrut seems easier to deal with, and probably doesn't look bad when it's in the air.

Par 36 (mirror ball) pinspots typically have an integral transformer and don't need to be wired in series. At 6.4 volts, you would need about 18 4515 lamps in series if you're using them without a transformer.

If you're talking about ACL's, disregard what I've said above.

I once built a "rain light curtain" from twenty 6V PAR36 lamps in wiring, series. Used cheap plastic cans, individual c-clamps, and 3' whips between each can. This was for a permanent install in a club, and I was glad I didn't have to maintain it! I would not recommend doing that ever again.

Along similar lines there's this:
8460-how-make-pinspot-bars-lg_mini_par_bar.jpg

Par 16 Mini Par Bar
which uses 12V lamps. I believe the "fixture" is, or used to be, available from many manufacturers, possibly even Thomas and TomCat.

Attachments

• lg_mini_par_bar.jpg
    lg_mini_par_bar.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 470
Pinspot bars are a mounting means and live power not series power ACL type of thing. Simpliest way of doing it is some form of stut or pipe to mount the fixtutures say Unistrut, and a seperate means for the cans to plug into say electrical boxes mounted to that strut and normal elecrical wiring conduit linked together with a cord to plug it in. Details like MTW wiring between commercial grade outlets and all based off the Unistrut mounting means for the bar and the conduit boxes. And a safety cable for the manufactured assembly. More details in proper electrical wiring and grounding and permissible fasteners or ways to do it, but overall it's not difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back