The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

How to make smoke come out of the Tinman's hat?

Discussion in 'Costumes and Makeup' started by StephenCLott, Sep 29, 2012.

1. StephenCLott

StephenCLott Member

For the Wizard of OZ, any ideas on how to make smoke come out of the Tinman's funnel hat while dancing? It is easily cut, but the kids would love it if we can pull it off. Thanks.

2. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2013
  3. zmb

zmb Well-Known Member

If the smoke doesn't need to shoot out and if the hat allows for this to done safely, a bowl of water with a chunk of dry ice could provide the effect. Just need to make sure water isn't dripping out or that it could break and dump a chunk of dry ice on the actor's head.

4. Joshualangman

Joshualangman Active Member

A bag of flour (baby powder, creamer, etc.) with an air tube connected to a pump be can operate with his hand? He squeezes the pump, the air blows the powder out of the hat.

5. MPowers

MPowers Well-Known Member

If you have a generous budget, the Tiny CX unit can be built into a costume, especially something like the tin man. It's 9"x2.08"x2.16" and battery powered.
    <LOOK Solutions | Fog machines, DMX - Products>

It's a good product, but not cheap.

6. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Quickest/easiest will prbably be rigging apiece of Polypropelene hose from theopening of the funnel down the back of the actors neck. Run the hose to either the actors neck or hand where you will locate a sphygmomanometer < blood pressure cuff> bulb or the bulb of a turkey baster or the like. As joshualangman said, you could then use a small resevoir at the opening of the funnel to hold 'Rye flour' < usually available at any grocery store. DO NOT USE baby powder, wheat flour, or anything else. Rye flour is the most hypo allerenic and therefore least likely to cause issues with the actors. I like the other ideas here as well, however I have issues with locating heating elements on actors heads, and the railroad smoker, plus any mini fog machine units all use heated glycol to make smoke, they are also, imho, too subtle to be read very well from onstage.

7. bdkdesigns

bdkdesigns Active Member Fight Leukemia

I agree that I wouldn't use anything that heated on the actors head, however have you ever used one of the Look Solutions Tiny Foggers? I used one for the doll house in Secret Garden and was highly impressed by it's output.

Also to Josh, DO NOT USE NON DAIRY CREAMER! Besides the possible allergens Van mentioned, this stuff is also highly flammable. Just look up the Mythbusters segment showing the creamer cannon to see just how dangerous it is.

8. JChenault

JChenault Well-Known Member

Actually I believe that all flours are flammable at proper concentrations in the air. ( I know that wheat flour is, I suspect that other kinds are just as flammable although I could be mistaken). I doubt if this is a real concern for this effect however as you would have to (A - have a whole bunch of flour and B- have an open source of ignition. )

If you are concerned, you might want to do some testing with an open flame to see if there is any danger.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  9. MPowers

ALL organic and many non organic (such as powdered Aluminum and iron used in pyrotechnics) are flamable or highly explosive in an air borne powder form. Examples every year of grain or flour elevators and storage structures. Magicians use powerded cream for flame effects. As stated I realy don't think it's a problem with this apploication.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  10. erichart

erichart Member

I haven't tried this yet, but a lot of props people have been pleased with the new "Pure Smoke" machine for small smoke effects. It's basically a tiny fogger made for magicians to hide in their sleeves. http://www.ellusionist.com/pure-smoke.html

11. ruinexplorer

ruinexplorer Minion CB Mods Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Projectionist
    I just held the Look Solutions Tiny Fogger in my hand, while doing a 10 second burst, covering the vent in order to feel the greatest amount of heat. I could barely feel any temperature difference, plus it puts out quite a bit of smoke. It has a small remote, programmable trigger. When you push the trigger, it puts out a pre-determined burst. As stated, they aren't cheap. I was in a hurry, but I believe the unit was around $1500, retail.

12. FuzzyGobo

FuzzyGobo Member

I would suggest Fantasy fog / haze in a can. Make sure to get the type that isn't continuous, otherwise once you spray it, it won't stop!

13. MPowers

Fuzzy,

You do realize that this thread is over a year old????

14. FuzzyGobo

FuzzyGobo Member

MPowers,

Yes, but the way I see it, maybe someone down the line will find the advice helpful. :)

15. csilvia9

csilvia9 Member

I did thank you very much
    csilvia9

16. Andrew McNamara

Andrew McNamara Member

Compressed air and talcum powder.

17. garyvp

garyvp Active Member

IT Professional
  18. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    @garyvp that Dragon Puffer is sweet. Gonna have to pick one up for my personal collection of toys. I got to looking at their other website zerotoys.com and stumbled across an even cooler, although much more expensive product.

josh88 likes this.