How to Simulate a Cross-Fade with Submasters

Stevens R. Miller

Those of you who have flattered me for my ASCII artistic skills in the past may have to be more forgiving than admiring this time. If the diagrams below are incomprehensible, I'll create some actual images and link to them.

I am working with a Scene Setter-48, very kindly lent to me by JimOC_1. It's an impressive gizmo that meets my basic need for a one-on-one box with 48 faders that can control 48 dimmers. In its A/B preset mode, it allows the operator to cross-fade from 24 preset faders to another 24 preset faders. But, in that mode, it only controls 24 dimmers total, not 48.

One can record a "scene" into a a fader. A scene can be (among other things) any preset level for each of the full 48 dimmers. So, if one cue calls for lights L1, L2, and L3 to be full, one sets faders 1, 2, and 3 to full, and then records that setting into a submaster (the faders do double-duty here: in the recording mode, they set dimmer levels, and you assign a complete preset to a fader with its bump button; in the playback mode, the faders become submasters and raise/lower the complete preset recorded into them).

If the next cue calls for lights L3, L4, and L5 to be at 50%, one sets faders 3, 4, and 5 to 50%, and then records that setting into a submaster.

This works pretty well, allowing the cues to be played back during a show by simply raising and lowering the submaster that has the cue you need. The Scene Setter-48 can store 96 cues this way (in four pages of 24 each), which is plenty for our needs. It would be a rare show indeed, for us, that needed more that 96 distinct cues. By reusing them (cues 12, 17, 85, and 102 might all be for, say, scenes in a basement, with the lighting always the same in each scene, so submaster 7 might be used to store that scene, and be played back four times during the show).

My problem arises from the difference between cross-fades and transitioning from one submaster to another, where the level for a given dimmer during transition is governed by the highest-takes-precedence (HTP) rule. A cross-fade sets intensity by a parametric equation that sums weighted values of the incoming and outgoing levels for a given dimmer. So, if L1 is at 80% for Cue A (I'll use letters here for cues, to keep them distinct from the numbers I use for lights), and L1 is also at 80% for Cue B, for t=0 to t=1, where t is the parameter that linearly varies from 0 to 1 during the cross-fade, the intensity of L1 is set by this equation:

Code:
L1 = (1 - t) x .8 + t x .8

This expands to:

Code:
L1 = .8 - .8t + .8t

Which reduces to:

Code:
L1 = .8

Hardly surprising. L1's level is 80% throughout the cross-fade, which is what we want.

But, if one sets L1 to 80% and records that into submaster 1, sets it again to 80% and records that into submaster 2, raises submaster 1 to full, then simultaneously runs submaster 1 to zero while running submaster 2 to full, L1 does not stay at a constant 80%. Rather, at t=.5, when both submasters are at 50%, L1 is at 40%. Owing to HTP, for t from 0 to .5, L1 drops linearly from 80% to 40%, and from .5 to 1, L1 increases linearly from 40% to 80%.

One could "solve" this problem by first running submaster 2 to full, then running submaster 1 to zero, but that "fix" only works in the case where the level for a light doesn't change. It isn't a general fix. Here are some (dubious) ASCII graphs that show how a couple of two-light cues make their transitions for each option: cross-fade, simultaneous fade on two submasters, and fading full up on the incoming submaster, then full down on the outgoing submaster:

Code:
Cue A: L1 @ Full
       L2 @ Full

Cue B: L1 @ Full
       L2 @ 0

Cross-fade:
L1A & L2A|----------L1B
         | \
         |  \
         |   \
         |    \
         |     \
         |      \
         |       \
         |        \
         |         \L2B
         +---------->

Simul-fade:
L1A & L2A|\        /L1B
         | \      /
         |  \    /
         |   \  /
         |    \/
         |     \
         |      \
         |       \
         |        \
         |         \L2B
         +---------->

Fade up/down:
L1A & L2A|----------L1B
         |      |
         |      \
         |       |
         |       \
         |        |
         |        \
         |         |
         |         \L2B
         +---------->

Cue A: L1 @ 50%
       L2 @ 50%

Cue B: L1 @ Full
       L2 @ 0

Cross-fade:
         |        _/L1B
         |      _/
         |    _/
         |  _/
L1A & L2A|_/
         |\_
         |  \_
         |    \_
         |      \_
         |        \_L2B
         +---------->

Simul-fade:
         |         /L1B
         |        /
         |       /
         |      /
L1A & L2A|\_   /
         |  \_/
         |    \_
         |      \_
         |        \_L2B
         +---------->

Fade up/down:
         |     _____L1B
         |    /
         |   /
         |  /
         | /
L1A & L2A|------
         |      \
         |       \
         |        \
         |         \L2B
         +---------->

I don't know that there's any true, general-case way around this issue, but folks here constantly surprise me with their accumulated wisdom, so I'll hope for the best.

How can I simulate a cross-fade when I only have submasters to use?

My general methodology for this situation has been to take Sub 2 somewhere between 50% and 80% then start sub 1 down. Frequently at a slower rate.

John and Scott have both described a lead/lag fade. There is no substitute for a split, dipless crossfade.
Ever used a dissolve unit for transitioning between slide projectors? Curve was such that, with the slider at 50% (halfway of travel), each lamp was at 90%. Complicated maths. All lighting computers just are very fast multiplying machines.

On the scene setter, I don't know how facile it is in switching modes, but can you store say 24 (48?) presets or scenes as submasters, and then record them as cues in a stack? That would allow you to cross fade between submasters - in a fashion.

Sadly, there is no way to emulate a proportional split/dipless crossfader using just additive submasters. You need either a software crossfader or a pulse-width-modulated integrating hardware solution. Any effort to do otherwise looks like a "mistake" on stage.

Interestingly, the split/dipless crossfader was an invention missed by many "experts" in the last 50 years. Notably, pioneers George Izenour in the US and Fred Bentham in the UK both completely missed the critical nature of this device.

BTW, Mr. Miller--your analysis is spot on. Congratulations--it's a thorny "thought problem" to solve.

ST

Sadly, there is no way to emulate a proportional split/dipless crossfader using just additive submasters. You need either a software crossfader or a pulse-width-modulated integrating hardware solution. Any effort to do otherwise looks like a "mistake" on stage.

Interestingly, the split/dipless crossfader was an invention missed by many "experts" in the last 50 years. Notably, pioneers George Izenour in the US and Fred Bentham in the UK both completely missed the critical nature of this device.

BTW, Mr. Miller--your analysis is spot on. Congratulations--it's a thorny "thought problem" to solve.

ST

And here's Bob Goddard's patent on the hardware solution:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3946273A/en

ST

On the scene setter, I don't know how facile it is in switching modes, but can you store say 24 (48?) presets or scenes as submasters, and then record them as cues in a stack? That would allow you to cross fade between submasters - in a fashion.
That's the one thing that differentiates the Scene Scetter from a full-blown theatrical console: it has no cue stack. It's more of a dance-hall console. Now, it can store chases. It does a great job with those. Each submaster can have its own chase. With four pages, that means 96 chases. Each chase can be 1,000 steps long with a total of 4,200 steps across them all. One could store a list of cues into a chase. The Scene Setter will let you step through a chase manually. When you do that, it cross-fades properly from one step to the next. The cross-fade time can be controlled with a slider, but the cross-fade itself is automatic. That is, you move a "fade time" slider to the time you want, then press the "Step" button, and the board executes the fade. If you make a mistake that puts you into a cue early, you can reverse the chase, "step" back, then reverse again to be going forward.

I'm pretty sure this isn't how its designers ever expected a person to use this board, but you could do it this way. It would almost work, but for the fact that the numeric display doesn't tell you which step you're in. That's an odd omission, since it does tell you which step you're at when you record the chase in the first place. But, once it has been recorded, you have to count the steps in your head when you play it back and want to find a step to edit the chase.

One approach might be to put short lists of cues into multiple submasters. Act I, Scene 1, could be in Submaster 1, while Act I, Scene 2, could be in Submaster 2, and so on. Or, even finer, if a particular transition absolutely needed a dipless cross-fade, have only the two cues needed for that transition in a submaster, and step from one cue to the other.

I wouldn't expect my middle-schoolers to ever do things this way, but it's an option if I need it.

Last edited:

So it would seem. I think John's 80% approach is about the best one can hope for. That doesn't eliminate the dip, but it reduces it. Depending on the inclinations of a show's director, the full-up-then-full-down sequence can work too, if the incoming and outgoing cues are designed with it in mind. Of course, if two cues are separated by a blackout, the problem goes away completely. Also, some cues can take the form of combinations of submasters, though that moves in the direction of defeating the purpose of using the submasters to avoid having to manipulate individual faders.

Mr. Miller--your analysis is spot on. Congratulations--it's a thorny "thought problem" to solve.

Thanks! I studied physics in my college days. Didn't get around to theater lighting for another 40 years. It's a bit remarkable how much the two subjects have in common.

And here's Bob Goddard's patent on the hardware solution: https://patents.google.com/patent/US3946273A/en

Yow, that is complicated! His solution goes way beyond my single-variable parameterized model. He's allowing for two or more parameters, and also for the fact that a cross-fade doesn't always have the contributions from each input cue adding up to unity. In 1974, I expect he was not thinking about LEDs, but his approach seems akin, in part, to the method of dimming LEDs with pulse-width modulation. He seems to have been using PWM for something else, but it's not far off, from what I can glean from his patent.

Still... all those op-amps and diodes. Kind of nostalgic to be reminded that "electronics" doesn't always mean logic circuits.

How ever did you know about that patent?

Ditto for Ward-Leonard 1969. The big boys all had this figured out by then.* Was Mr. Goddard working for TTI or LMI (or Teatronics or EDI) at the time?

*Hub Electric Co, sadly had not, it would appear.
1. There is no crossfader, dipless or otherwise. Century consoles of this era would certainly have had a single-handle autotransformer crossfader.

The patent actually goes into some detail about scene masters and cross-faders in its description of existing inventions ("prior art," in patent-speak). The invention described is a single control that combines the functions of both:

The patent itself said:
The present invention provides a device which permits operation having all the advantages of both cross fader operation and scene master type operation in a single unit with the scene master operation showing improved characteristics over the prior art. The solution to the problem resides first of all in the development of a set of equations and logical decisions which must be followed in order to obtain the desired operation. In essence, this equation follows the conventional equation for cross faders where the sum of the two faders or master controls is less than one. When greater than one, a decision is made as to which of the presets in each channel is greater and depending on this decision, one of two other equations carried out. From this brief discussion, the complexity of the logical decisions and equations to be implemented is evident. However, this transfer function defined by these equations is obtained in the present invention without resorting to digital apparatus or massive analog systems. This is accomplished in spite of the fact that every channel requires the solution of a four variable equation with branching. The system of the present invention uses a central cross fade generator which feeds the memory elements. The memory elements are then combined in a passive network to achieve the desired output. At worst, each channel output requires, in addition, no more than a simple filter and buffer. All of this is achieved through a unique combination of duty cycle modulation, amplitude modulation and peak detecting combiners. The duty cycle modulation is used to carry the information regarding the values of the X and Y sides of a two handle split cross fader. The amplitude modulation is used to carry the information regarding the preset values. The combiner passes whichever of the signals has the highest instantaneous value thereby masking signals which overlap in the time domain and are blocked by a signal of greater instantaneous value from the other channel.

What he's done is pretty crafty, for an analog solution. He has multiplexed cross-fader control values with preset levels by using two orthogonal modulations: PWM for fader values and AM for preset values. This bears a distant similarity to the way the color signal was multiplexed as FM into the AM video component of black-and-white television and, to my mind, is every bit as clever.

Now, the subtler part of his patent is, I think, the expression of how to convert the various settings (X fader value, Y fader value, X preset, and Y preset) to a final intensity level. He did this by solving a number of mathematical and logical issues, and expressing his solution in a form that was amenable to physical implementation with discrete analog components. Today, his mathematical models are (to the extent I am able to determine) still applicable. But you can forget all about those op-amps and other things with wires, because your computer can easily do that math for you.

Still, reading the patent makes it a bit easier to understand why things we might think are obvious today (since computers can turn almost any mathematical model into an actual signal) were not as immediately apparent only 40+ years ago.

Steve. I worked on a Kliegl system in 1968 that had a dip less cross fade. That was before this patent. Do you know if this is another way to do the dipless cross fade, or what

Yes, that is one of the great mysteries of this patent. How did it issue, because Kliegl had a split/dipless crossfader that predated the priority date of the patent? Perhaps there were others, as well--although the vast majority of crossfaders in the 1950's and 60's were single handle, non-split, but nevertheless technically "dipless" autotransformer designs like the Century Edkotron, the TTI MDS, and others. But remember that this was long before the entertainment industry started serious patent filings, so it may well be that such split/dipless prior art was not described in any existing patents at the time. (See my earlier comment about "experts" having missed the boat on the need for this invention.)

Absent a challenge to the patent which would have pointed out unpatented prior art, the patent would have issued. Still happens all the time.

ST

Ditto for Ward-Leonard 1969. The big boys all had this figured out by then.* Was Mr. Goddard working for TTI or LMI (or Teatronics or EDI) at the time?

*Hub Electric Co, sadly had not, it would appear.

Bob was an independent consultant at the time he filed for the patent, which he remains today.

One more interesting point: the patent describes an "optional filter" after the diode-summed outputs of the channel pots. This was actually not "optional" as it was required to integrate the complex waveform to a typically 0-10 Vdc control value. This integrator was often an LC filter on the control input to dimmer (a la TTI and Century), rather than built into the console. The young Turks at LMI (Al Pfieffer and Kent Cochon) used a solid-state integrator known as a gyrator on the control input to their dimmers--those would be the ones that virtually put TTI out of business. LMI was acquired by ETC in 1990, and the rest is history.

ST

Last edited:
Steve. I worked on a Kliegl system in 1968 that had a dip less cross fade. That was before this patent. Do you know if this is another way to do the dipless cross fade, or what

Found this in Skirpan's "Professional Lighting Control". Top shows an autotransformer used as a master fader; bottom shows it used as a crossfader:

AutoXfmerXfader.jpeg

I'll throw in another console option, the Strand 200 24/48. I believe it does all and more than the Scenesetter. Kind of like is has a video out - that seems to help understanding. The Smartfade ML had it's detractors but coupled with any Apple laptop for video, it was much easier to use. Not the bargain price of the Scenesetter however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back