Automated Fixtures How to Swap a Gobo

Shawncfer

on an intelligent light. I have an Elation Focus Spot 250R and this company wants to put their custom gobo in it for a show. How would I go about that? They're ordering one thats the right size of course. Not a S4 Gobo

Hi Shawn,
I've never worked with one of these fixtures, but I downloaded the manual to see if I could help.
There aren't any instructions for how to change the gobo, but there is this line from page 41 of the manual under the "cleaning and Maintenance Section" :

There are no user serviceable parts inside this fixture with the exception of the lamp.
Please refer all other service issues to an authorized Elation service technician.

Also, the manual does not list what gobo size to order, so i'm suspecting that the light is not designed for a swappable gobo. Unfortunately, the word choice in the product spec sheet, "6 interchangeable, indexable, rotating gobos + spot." means interchangeable between the 7 choices, not user interchangeable.

This doesn't mean it's not possible.... but it will probably void the warranty.

You can contact Elation tech support at :
Voice: (323) 582-3322
Fax: (323) 582-3108
E-mail: [email protected]
Forum: www.ElationLighting.com/forum

I just did. They told me you could and gave me the sizes. So Im suspecting thats a yes right? I really don't have much experience with these fixtures. Im not a big fan of Elation

I just did. They told me you could and gave me the sizes. So Im suspecting thats a yes right? I really don't have much experience with these fixtures. Im not a big fan of Elation

Yes, this fixture will accept:

Steel
SuperResolution B/W glass
1-color glass
2-color glass
ColourScenic full color glass

We have specs for this gobo if you end up requiring custom or stock patterns for the Elation Focus 250R-

Shawncfer, you've never changed a gobo in any moving light? I don't know that fixture, but the process should be reasonably similar to this video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope :oops: I know, embarassing

Don't sweat it Shawn, everyone has a first gobo-swap experience some time in their lives!

Mikey Mike raises a good point as far as changing the image area for certain patterns. Beware that the outer portions of the image will become less crisp and become cut off, as seen in the is video. While this large elephant may have been 'cut too large', I highly doubt it was cut any differently than was specified by the buyer. Our laser equipment is capable of placing 7,700 words on an M sized Source Four Jr b/w glass gobo (as seen in Gafftaper and Dave's LDI video), so hitting 10.5mm image area isn't a big deal at all-

Have fun with your gobo swap, and keep an eye on the gobo retainer springs. These little guys like to go flying!!!

Last edited:
Nope :oops: I know, embarassing
Don't sweat it Shawn, everyone has a first gobo-swap experience some time in their lives!
Yeah, my intent was not to embarrass, Shawn. I was 39, I think, when i changed my first ML gobo--VL6, one always remembers one's first. :p

I'm with you Derek, and I was in my 30's when I first changed out a gobo.

(An we know you well enough around here to know you don't pull any punches!)

Ooops- sorry, it was indeed b/w glass! Let me edit that-

(Watching the video of the laser ablating stainless steel while typing didn't work so well!)

The Leonardo DaVinci Source Four Jr gobo was metal, if you have seen that particular image from Gafftaper and Dave's vid.

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Yeah, my intent was not to embarrass, Shawn.

Haha I know. I didn't take it that way. But thanks for Clarifying :)

And Keith, When ordering custom gobos from Apollo, who do I contact about it? Ive always ordered S4 gobos from a local dealer. Im not ordering this one, the client said he wanted to order it and he'd give it to me. But he said he didn't know where to get it from. Before I put him in contact with the local dealer, I'll put him in contact with you guys.

Last edited:
Haha I know. I didn't take it that way. But thanks for Clarifying :)

And Keith, When ordering custom gobos from Apollo, who do I contact about it? Ive always ordered S4 gobos from a local dealer. Im not ordering this one, the client said he wanted to order it and he'd give it to me. But he said he didn't know where to get it from. Before I put him in contact with the local dealer, I'll put him in contact with you guys.

Thanks Shawncfer,

Your client may contact me or anyone here at Apollo for assistance in determining what will fit within the 'live area' of the gobo he would like to have made. We do not sell direct but rather through our family of authorized dealers, many of whom are in the San Marcos region.

Our toll-free number here at Apollo is (800)CUT-GOBO or 800.288.4626 if alphabet soup bothers you! expert at apollodesign dot net will get you through to my email box quickly also.

Have a good one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back