How to use an earset retaining band?

Stevens R. Miller

Our Samson Concert 99 wireless microphone systems arrived. First impression is very good. The included earset has a thick rubber bit spanning the hook that goes around your ear. In Samson's advertisements, this is called a "retaining band," and is allegedly capable of keeping the earset in place, even in "fitness applications."

I've never seen one before and the system manual makes no mention of it.

How do I use it?

proxy.php

Definitely takes the hidden aspect and throws it out the window.

Does it come off?

Maybe just use it for storage so the ear piece bits don’t get mangled?

Seems like it would get in the way or caught on so many things.

Definitely takes the hidden aspect and throws it out the window.

Does it come off?

Maybe just use it for storage so the ear piece bits don’t get mangled?

Seems like it would get in the way or caught on so many things.
My experiments so far suggest it goes behind your ear. Man, when you do that, that earset stays on. the base of the stem (the most acutely bent part of the whole thing) sits tightly at the entry of your ear canal, and I cannot shake my head hard enough to make the earset change position, much less come completely off of me. Only problem is that it seems like it would be hard to tolerate for an entire show.

Based on Samson calling it a "restraining band," that keeps it on even in "fitness" applications, I'm sure it's not just a shipping restraint. I just want confirmation that I'm using it correctly.

The rubber band sits behind the ear lobe. The stiffer wire portion sitting even further behind the ear depending on size of head/ear. I actually don't hate this mics, thought I'd argue it still require mic tape in front of the ear/ behind and below, and back of the neck. Especially for any kind of theatrical use. If people are just stitting and podcasting AD&D at a table ther isn't a need. but htere claim if it staying on during fitness is a little overblown :). Unless you have the perfect Head/Ear combo.

When you buy them as an individual element you get all the connectors to use them with other manufactures which is nice. Downside is they don't universally fit kids-adults as well as lav/wig mic. But for the people they work and fit on they do work A'OK.

Also sounds like you might have a beautifully perfect Head! Congrats! Check how well it stays on if you tweak the element end. That's what I've noticed sometimes happening with costume changes or such. Thought it does sit back on the ear with out to much problem if the actor is aware of how the retaining band works.

The rubber band sits behind the ear lobe. The stiffer wire portion sitting even further behind the ear depending on size of head/ear. ...it does sit back on the ear with out to much problem if the actor is aware of how the retaining band works.

Thanks! You are correct that it varies. Apparently, I do have the "perfect" ear for it. Alas, I don't act. My son (who acts) tried it for me and we just could not get it to stay on his ear by itself. But, tape is always an option and I may do better with practice.

Cheers!

The real trick for getting an earset to stay where you want it (without the retaining band) is th carefully adjust the earhook portion so the the nub (where the cable connects) pushes out against the ear and the wire/sleeve at the top pushes against the skull. Way to many folks do not seat the nub correctly into the cavity most of us have behind our earlobe and this contributes to the mic wandering all over the place.

In theory the mic "sounds best" when it is away from the face, but then it bounces all over the place like it is doing a duet with the actor. We recommend curving the boom such that the mic sits against the face about 3/8" away from the corner of the mouth. While the jaw bone adds some coloration to the sound, it is easily eq'd to sound right, and it does change as it wobbles - so in the end it is more consistent sounding. This pressure of the mic on the cheek/jaw and the correct adjustment of the earhook will hold the mic in place in most circumstances with little or no "face tape".

Always anchor the cable at the back of the neck with tape agains the neck, or a cable-clothing clip on a collar. Make sure there is sufficient slack so there is no strain on the cable no matter how far the actor turns their head - The Exorcist actor excepted of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back