Howdy from Houston

Do you ever use el wire or el tape for lighting?

• Total voters

monkk

Hello everyone, I am not involved in any aspect of theater, I am just very visually-oriented and have a strange fascination with lights.

Looks like a great site!

Welcome to CB. I hope this site has everything your looking for

el wire

Thanks CHScrew!

Note: El wire (short for "electroluminescent wire") also called neonstring, or glow wire, is flexible wire that lights up. The Blue Man Group use it a lot in their show. Here is a picture of some blue wire I took in my hallway:

proxy.php

I love seeing other people's pictures of what they have done with el wire. It's a relatively new technology, and most people are not familiar with it yet.

Eric

I've used el wire for lighting, only in my computer case though. I voted yes since I've used it for lighting, but I wanted to comment making sure everyone knew it was for a computer, not for professoinal application.

soundman1024 said:
I've used el wire for lighting, only in my computer case though. I voted yes since I've used it for lighting, but I wanted to comment making sure everyone knew it was for a computer, not for professoinal application.

That's cool soundman. You wouldn't have a picture of it would you?

I recently used el wire (lighttape by electro-luminx) in a show where the set was an abstraction of a computer chip, the tape made up the filaments connecting the transistors. It can be expensive, but the effect is well worth it.

Wow that stuff looks really cool, does anyone have a site for like how much it is to buy or anything like that? Doupt I have enough to really get any of it but it looks wicked sweet.

~Nick

I'm glad you shared the "light string". I'm designing a production of Fiddler on The Roof and have an idea of how to use this during the dream scene. Great stuff from Texas!

Jim Elliott
Production Manager
The Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts
Amarillo TX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back