Howdy from the Midwest

LD4Life

Hey, this is LD4Life. I just found this site on January 18th and look forward to making full use of it. For anyone with any revolve/turntable experience, I currently have a thread trying to figure out how to build a small turntable for a show and would love any help you can give there. I will also be posting the specs for some really cool projection tricks that we are doing for this show after they are completed so you guys can use them as well. I look forward to working with all of you in the future.
See you around.

Welcome aboard! Since I'm the first, I'll give the usual run-down: use the search tool before posting, there're dozens of topics on here that are great resources. Ask and answer at will, and don't hesitate to bring up old topics as long as you aren't answering a question that was asked 3 years ago and was already resolved to the satisfaction of the OP. Post show pics of your lighting designs in the show pics thread (most of the older pics are dead links, but this thread is 45 pages long and growing every month).

Welcome to the Booth! It's a great community with lots to learn and we like to have a good time too. As for your turntable problem do a search on the word "Revolve" and you should be able to find an old thread with Van's design in it. Just do what Van tells you and you'll be just fine.

Hi from down under. Welcome to the booth. Now as far as doing what Van tells you. That's fine if it's theatre related but be careful if he starts talking about Pirates. A word to the wise.

In response to Gafftaper's post, I've looked through all the revolve/turntable threads, and none of them really have what I'm looking for. This is a very application specific turntable that has some very specific parameters needed. I have the design of the turntable itself taken care of, I'm just trying to figure out how to power it. It isn't a scenery revolve, it is a turntable within a very large prop that turns the top half of the prop, so it has to be motorized from within the prop.

Welcome Aboard! I'll take a look at your other thread and see if I can shoot you some suggestions.
As for Logos' comments, remember he's the progeny of convicts you can't trust him, whereas many a pirate were actually licensed by governments.
< Or if you're a Aussie that would be Licenced>
:mrgreen:

As I am an Aussie I'm incensed, with peppermints.

Thanks all. Man, when you guys visit a board, you guys come in force. Thanks for the resounding welcome.

Welcome! How did you get the experience necessary for becoming a master electrician by the time you got to college? I would love to know the different things you did along the way.
First of all, you should note that the title "Master Electrician" when applied to theatre does not always denote a state licensed electrician. In theatre, we usually refer to the person in charge of implementing a designer's light plot as the Master Electrician (ME) or production electrician.

Most colleges try to create as professional an atmosphere as possible, so they use real world titles. College students are studying and training to fill positions like this, and it is fitting and accepted to use the associated titles. Many college students who hold titled positions still have a mentor, but they take on most, if not all of the responsibility that having the title entails.

On the flip side, you may find that there are many people on CB who frown on high school students using some titles, especially the title "Technical Director." We try to encourage the High School audience to stick "Student" in front of mot titles as they really are just starting to learn what is involved in holding these positions.

you may find that there are many people on CB who frown on high school students using some titles, especially the title "Technical Director." We try to encourage the High School audience to stick "Student" in front of mot titles as they really are just starting to learn what is involved in holding these positions.
Not only that, but it also makes a funny acronym.
S_tudent
T_echnical
D_irector
:lol:

yeah for more techies from the midwest! welcome aboard!

First of all, you should note that the title "Master Electrician" when applied to theatre does not always denote a state licensed electrician. In theatre, we usually refer to the person in charge of implementing a designer's light plot as the Master Electrician (ME) or production electrician.
We have different LDs (of which I am one) for different shows. According to the OSHA regulations, even as an educational theatre we have to have paid staff that oversee all technical aspects of the theatre. That's where I come in. Since we use different LDs, I'm in place to be familiar with our equipment and circuitry so as to assist the LDs.
I do also do professional work on the side, though, and would be more than happy to talk to you about how I've gained experience if you would like.

Hey, everyone. I'm not at all new, I just haven't been on in a couple of years. So, since I'm sure the community has changed quite a bit since then, I'll give a new brief introduction. My name is Rob, and I am the resident lighting designer and lighting and sound supervisor for a theatre in Indiana. If there's anything else that anyone would like to know about me, feel free to ask and I am happy to share. I used to be very active in the community here, and I look forward to being so again.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back