HS hiring a College Lighting Designer

Has the potential to be complex - there is movement between two time periods & several locations on a unit set, and the story itself covers several weeks (night & day). But there are ways to simplify, and when we take it to competition, we will only be allowed lights up/down and I think basic areas.

We have a new board and decent instrument inventory, though nothing fancy (no LEDs or scrollers etc... just your basics).

I've just never had to hire in a designer before, and don't know what the going rates are. Set designers in these parts get anywhere between $500 and $1500 depending on who's producing.

The biggest variable in determining something like that is what sort of time commitment you're asking for, and what level of design you're looking for. Tally up the number of hours worth of meetings, rehearsals, performances, load-in, programming, and load-out, multiply it by $10/hr and see where you are.

On top of all of that, if you want a complex show, figure more hours because the designer will need more time on their own combing through the script, drafting cue sheets, cutting gel, etc.

You may find someone for less, but fair is based on hours, not on lump sum.

I think scope is important to define. Is this person preparing, providing plot and paperwork, directing focus, and cuing during tech and subsequent rehearsals, or are they doing a lot of the work that is in some places the work of the tech director and master electrician and their crews? Board op too? Kind of is it one job or two, and is there competent crew?

The crew will be as competent as I can get a handful of teens who have never stepped into a theatre before to be. :) I have 2-3 kids who have helped hang, and a couple who have run the board. We went over the basics of id'ing instruments today, and they asked reasonable questions that showed they're not idiots, so I'm optimistic.

That said, It's been umpteen years since I've had to hang from a plot, so our LD will have to assist me with some of the ME duties (*I* need some re-training, too!) I'd like to say I'll brush up on my ME duties, but (you know HS theatre) I'm also directing and designing and etc....

For a kid who is currently in college? Lets say you tie him or her up for a week doing this.... I would pay the standard "1st summerstock" rate of 300-400 bucks for the whole thing... if you need more then 6 days go a bit higher. If you are looking at a pro I would want to see at least 250/day.

Based on this thread, and conversations with folks in my area, here's what I'm thinking of offering:
$350 for the design, then $15/hr for additional work (3 hrs of "class" time, then we can negotiate time for ME duties) I feel confident I can justify spending in the $700-1000 range total, and it's certainly worth it to me to have someone whose knowledge of electrics is more (excuse the pun) current.

Based on this thread, and conversations with folks in my area, here's what I'm thinking of offering:
$350 for the design, then $15/hr for additional work (3 hrs of "class" time, then we can negotiate time for ME duties) I feel confident I can justify spending in the $700-1000 range total, and it's certainly worth it to me to have someone whose knowledge of electrics is more (excuse the pun) current.

That's an excellent plan. In the past, I would usually get a flat rate of around $400 to come in as a "guest designer" (also doing the hang, focus, and programming), but these were usually institutions I already had a relationship with - so it was more of a favor. I find it very impressive that you are not only paying for the hours, but also for the intellectual property of the design itself. That doesn't happen often enough!

Thanks, Les.

There's a mindset in the arts, too often, that because we so often rely on donors or fundraising that we get in the habit of expecting things to be given to us for free. We expect actors to work for free all the time. Part of my job, as a teacher, is to help my kids understand that art IS product and deserves compensation. Now, if someone walked up and offered to volunteer his/her services, I wouldn't turn it down. :)

Overall this sounds like an excellent plan and the renumeration is on the lower end of fair for where I come from.

One thing I would caution you about is very carefully interviewing your candidates and getting solid references from college professors and, if possible from other, non-college groups with whom they have worked. I had a horrible experience somewhat recently with a 2nd year MFA lighting candidate who had an impressive portfolio of designs and was brought into a situation where she also needed to be a volunteer supervisor and Master electrician. After two days, I got the emergency call to come in to supervise the hang and focus of her plot because she had NO electrician experience as it turned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back