Vintage Lighting Hub #8766 4.5x6.5 Leko

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Almost a year since I saw it, been my carrot on a stick. Probably posted about it and photos of it, but didn't see it. Fixture other than a cracked lens in lens train was in remarkably great shape. Barely any shutter damage - lamp socket easy cleaning. Odd way to do the shutter retention & not very deep dimples in an added shutter plate to retain shutter tension. Probably early bought out Altman casting for a 360 series Leko - in vent holes not many bleeds of metal into the vent holes.

Cute fixture. Given the cracked lens and no replacement, I put two Altman 4.5x9 lenses into it's lens train from stock. I also converted it to LED color changing lamp so as to give the fixture back to the Property Manager as a book shelf prop light. A shame Osram discontinued their LED color changing lamps - they had the purest color rendering, most output and the smoothest cross fade between colors. Went with the Bulbrite #770190 as opposed to the TLR / Action Ltg. or Feit lamps. TLR snaps between colors and has worse color rendering, the Feit has a button on the lamp you have to press every time the lamp is turned on if you want it to change colors. Nice if you want a certain color from the lamp, but not workable within a Leko. Considered the new tech. controllable by cell phone lamps... nope. Output is almost nominal on the color changing lamp, but as a prop light... it does something with a fairly smooth color changing curve. Can always replace it with a standard A-Lamp.

Interesting in order to mount the lamp, I had to take it way out of bench focus at least for where the screws mounting it would want to go - this in adding a 1.1/2" standoff to the lamp base plentium. Wonder how bench focused the origional lamps will have also have been.

Cute fixture, a shame to give it back before adding it to the museum, but there will soon be more with similar cracked lenses and I now have an extra lens. Wonder how much it's worth on E-Bay especially if color changing prop light.

Attachments

• 4.5q6.5 b.jpg
    4.5q6.5 b.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 163
  • 20190702_103517 (9).jpg
    20190702_103517 (9).jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 20200524_203441.jpg
    20200524_203441.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 20200528_203341.jpg
    20200528_203341.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 20200528_203446.jpg
    20200528_203446.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 20200528_203507.jpg
    20200528_203507.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 177
Client loved it!!! Pointed out... not that... finger traced a scratch to the base from transport, but admired the work put in matching base paint to fixture paint.

Got one today for the museum! I don't know where the missing #6 of 6 off the house to stage lighting was found, but it showed up in my old fixture storage area at the theater. This #6 was replaced by a Altman #360Q 6x9 some time post I believe it 94'. This fixture is missing lamp cap and assembly, but I literally have dozens of that part - just have to reproduce the Hub paint for museum.

The Project Buisness Manager in approving projects at the theater... noted the old 50's lights in house for lighting the stage, and wanted them restored and RGBW LED prop lights just like the 1924 chandeliers I have been working on. !!! My boss was like... I know a guy that can do this, than pointed to me.

This is going to be a challenge. Both restoring old Leko's from huge 8" to 4.5", and now making some prop output for them with RGBW nodes for them in DMX control. Never did that before. A radial Leko needs a 1.5" spacer for my last Leko to Color changing E-26 (non controlled) concept for bench focus on a basic 6" leko size. To insall a DMX controlled RGBW node on from 8" thru 4.5" in size radial Leko... A paid challenge!!!

Major suck my whole department was either laid off, or chose to become that. One of my department I need in his smarts for this project, another for his getting it done skills... the other.... At least the head of moving light / electronic's repair is not laid off. Can make this work in adding another to my department and he is great on production also.

1950's Leko's restored now LED prop light with just a little more than prop light output... I can do this. Harder without my staff... but a challenge to do. Cool project in inspiring me in coming together both museum quality restoration work and LED projects in modifying them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back