I-Cue/Iris "moving Head" alternative

NickVon

So my friend and I were researching some alternatives to adding (2) additional I-Cue/Iris setups to our respective venues. We both already have 2 in each of our venues.

19d Source 4's with I-Cue mirror, City Theatrical DMX iris (the 4pin) kind, Rosco 4 Channel PSU and Dmx/Scroller cable) The cost comes to about $2000 for each unit. Which 5-8 years ago seemed reasonable for the what these components can do. I-Cues and DMX Iris's still seem priced very high, and the Roscu PSU that allows for connection of at least 4 of these devices aren't cheap either.

So we are wondering what other alternatives there might be in the 2-3k ea. range. Here are somethings we think it would absolutist need to be comparable or worth the additional monies:

Minim 16 degree focus.
Replaceable color lens (for R02, R60, Rose tint, etc)
Equivalent to a 575w HPL min. (ideally HPL 750 or higher) understanding that I-Cues are light inefficient for even 750w lamps.
Pan/ Tilt/ Iris/ Focus

Used as Front light Specials

Bonuses but not critical:
Sideways mount
LED source
Gobo Wheel

We have priced out some other I-cue alternatives like the Apollo Right Rights/ and Rosco alternative to it. all of which are more expensive when including iris accessories. (Granted they would provide better light then bouncing of an I-Cue and be usable with all source 4 lens tubes but the price up-charge doesn't hold water for us for those very limited benefits over our current solution.

If buying used gets us in the 2-3k range we'd be happy with that. (Though our spec price is for New I-Cue and Iris, used Source 4, PSU and cabling.

Your thoughts and input are appreciated! There might be other people in our boat as well with function vs finances.
Nick

A Chauvet Rogue R3 Spot is listed for for $2650 or less. The R1 and R2 price lower. The color wheel isn't suitable for theatrical pastel filters though.
For somewhat more there are many CMY mixing fixtures available, or soon to be available including the Chauvet Maverick, ADJ Vizi, Elation Satura.
If you don't need a sharp focus or gobos, the wash fixtures cost less and most can zoom pretty tight.

Chauvet and Elation's "Pro" fixtures have a good reputation.

Is the Source 4 Revolution an option here? Of course, the price is out of range, but I really haven't heard much about that fixture...
Revolutions are great but if you've got a space concern they're not the right solution.
With them being discontinued people are starting to horde them. The new Revele unit that's replacing it isn't worth the price for the output.

OP have you considered looking into something in the SolaSpot/SolaFrame line? It's not as cheap but the up front investment would be worth it in the long run.
Is this something that's being installed in a rep plot or is this a one-off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back