Automated Fixtures I-cue issues, maintenance

soundmill3206

I've been involved in theatre tech for years (Audio and conventional lighting) but I'm a newbie to DMX in general so I'll be asking questions on things that I'm sure you all take for granted. As I wrap my head around operating the lighting system in the theatre I've become involved in, one of my first tasks is getting everything operating properly. First off, we have 8 Source Fours with I-Cues. 6 of them seem to be functioning ok. One is on the bench with a broken mirror (no Idea how) and one seems to have developed a mind of it's own. Pan and tilt just move at random when I try to focus. The whole bar will be coming down soon and my biggest question is, what should I use to clean the mirrors. The are brown with dust etc. I'm assuming the one with the random movement will respond with cleaning. Any advice will be welcomed.

I've been involved in theatre tech for years (Audio and conventional lighting) but I'm a newbie to DMX in general so I'll be asking questions on things that I'm sure you all take for granted. As I wrap my head around operating the lighting system in the theatre I've become involved in, one of my first tasks is getting everything operating properly. First off, we have 8 Source Fours with I-Cues. 6 of them seem to be functioning ok. One is on the bench with a broken mirror (no Idea how) and one seems to have developed a mind of it's own. Pan and tilt just move at random when I try to focus. The whole bar will be coming down soon and my biggest question is, what should I use to clean the mirrors. The are brown with dust etc. I'm assuming the one with the random movement will respond with cleaning. Any advice will be welcomed.
Check the operating modes the I-Cues are set for.
Are all of the functioning units set the same?
Is the non functioning unit set the same as the others??
Does the limp I-Cue have power??? Is its power supply fed by real, non dimmed, power that's NOT passing through an SCR, TRIAC, or IGBT????
For mirror cleaning, refer to your manuals, or on line manual.
No manuals? Try soap, water, an absorbent, soft, lint free cloth, apply carefully then dry with more care.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Rosco does sell replacement mirrors for the I-Cues. It's been a while since I built one, so I can't recall how the mirror is mounted; I seem to recall double-sided tape of some sort. Easy enough to clean off and replace.

The I-Cue does have a standalone mode that pans and tilts it without DMX control. The manual can do a better job explaining it than I. (https://us.rosco.com/sites/default/files/content/resource/2016-08/I-Cue_Manual.pdf)

It's also possible that you've got a skrogged 4-pin cable, jack, or DMX chip (in order of likelihood). Try running straight from the PSU to the I-Cue that's malfunctioning and see if it makes a difference.

If your I-cues have a DMX problem within the fixture itself, you're screwed. On the newer models with the digital display, the DMX chip is surface-mounted so will take the proper tools and skill to replace it.
Even then, there still can be issues. I had the chip replaced on one unit, it still didn't work, and Rosco wanted almost the cost of a new I-cue for a replacement circuit board. This was several years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back