I-Cue Mirrors Vibrating during Cue

seamus514

Hi there,

My i-cues are not staying put! The mirror positions shift an inch over and then return during a static placement. It does this in 2 second intervals. It is a really visible move when the beam cut is sharp.

I'm running 2 mirrors off of a 75 watt generic power supply (Cincon Electronics CO. LTD.) 5 pin DMX into the 4 pin adapter. The console is a Strand 520i.

Any ideas? Let me know if you need more info.

Have you used the same setup before without problems or is this the first time with the current setup?
Is the power supply located next to the units or remotely? Rosco recommends 24 vdc +/- 10%, so you might check what voltage is arriving at the I-cues. Using too small gauge wire could cause problems. They also recommend a return line back to the power supply from the last unit, thus making a complete power supply loop, but this information is all in the manual. Besides power supply problems, it could be the DMX signal. Do the LED indicators on the display show good "signal strength"? What happens if you take the I-cues down and plug them into the console with a short DMX cable? Just some ideas.

I've experienced the IQ tick frequently over the last 15 years of using them....
I've always assumed it was noise in the system,
but I've never been able to isolate it to this particular problem or that.
But I have gotten rid of the problem temporarily....
BY ....
  • unplugging and replugging unit to reset pwr.
  • replacing a dmx cable in the system
  • replacing a 4 pin (scroller) cable in the system
  • reducing the load on circ by reducing # of units in loop.
You should have a closed run or at the very least a terminator in last unit of circ.

I do think loop length has something to do with it...
I try to keep my scroller runs under 20' and dmx runs under 50' with IQ's
I think it helps but not positive

Hope that helps

Thanks for the tips folks. I am not using a terminator so that will be my first step. Voltage and wiring seem to be fine, I'm running 50' of cabling and the power supply is right next to the instrument. I do notice that only one of the mirrors has the problem and it has lousy signal strength (1 bar). Might be noise in the cabling.... hoping the terminator does the job. I can't actually close the power run as my power supply does not have a return on it so if the terminator doesn't fix it I'll maybe go for another power supply with a return.

If that doesn't work then I'll pour water on the 520i and become a mail carrier. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back