I finally got a clew!

Ted, would you be so kind as to describe the manufacturing process of the “spun steel” blocks you mention? What kind of bearings did they have? You also said they were the best blocks you knew. How do they compare with today’s Nylotro
Here’s one old Channon catalog. Lots of interesting pages to get lost in, but I didn’t spot any theatre hardware.

The Channon catalog I saw was from the late 20's or 30's.

Back to my original Q. What is the manufacturing pros for the “spun steel” blocks? How do they compare with today’s Nylotron blocks?

Back to my original Q. What is the manufacturing pros for the “spun steel” blocks? How do they compare with today’s Nylotron blocks?
Patience is a virtue, I'm told.

I had to find one to show you one of them.

Advantages:

1. The spun steel sheave: It was a piece of heated steel spun at a high speed and the edge was split and formed into the V shape shown in pic 224. The shape allowed you to properly support a 3/16" cable and sort of properly support a 5/32" or 1/8" cable. The grooves were larger on the larger sheaves. After forming, the sheave was hardened to 53 or 56 on the Rockwell "C" scale for hardness. The same, or close to same, hardness as GAC. Pic 417 shows an 8" sheave outside of the side plates. This one does not have the holders for the double bearings.

With the wide V shape and equal hardness to the cable, JHC said you could have fleet angles of up to 7 degree's (Heresy!). Even at that extreme angle, the cable and sheave didn't wear each other. Surprisingly, they weren't noisy when used at those angles with 400 LB on them. I can attest to this having seen some of them that were in place for 2 and 3 decades with no visible wear on the sheave or cable. Admittedly, you worked for 1 to 1.5 degrees as much as possible, but sometimes being able to go to 3 to 6 degrees could be a lifesaver, especially in rehab work.

The blocks were made at 5", 8" with a 3/16 or 1/4 groove and 12" with a 1/4 or 3/4 groove.

2. The bearings were sealed precision ball bearings. I think they were Fafner 202 bearings with a 17 MM ID that is a ubiquitous bearing and cheap. For head blocks there were larger bearings, but the loft blocks were all the same bearing. There were two bearings in the later models that had a solid shaft and a single bearing in the earlier models that had a hollow splined shaft. The single bearing model was rated for 500 LB at 8 to 1 and the double bearing model was rated for 750 LB. They spin very easily. Even loaded. The 8" and 12" sheaves had the double bearings only.

3. What you see in pic 143 is a 5" with a swivel head. Channon used a GR5 5/8 rod and two angle clips to make beam clamps up to 8 or 10" beam flanges. When we bought them in crates of 1,000 blocks, they had nothing in the top where the swivel is. You could add the swivel, or a U-clip that was 3" long and bolt in place with 2 x 3/8 GR5 bolts and the above mentioned 5/8 rod beam clamp for a soft underhang block or add two base irons for a hard mounted underhang block or upright block. You could also use B7 (GR5) 3/8 rod and stack 4 or 5 together and make a mule block or head block. The last ones I remember ordering in the early 90's were about $28/block. We could buy mounting hardware or make it.

4. The sheave is recessed in the side plates. It is impossible to have a cable get between the sheave and the side plate. JHC was a pioneer in high speed hydraulic rigging, they needed the non-fouling side plates due to cable whip at startup or stop.

5. A sort of downside of the 5" block and 3/16 GAC which it was designed for:
JHC used the minimum D to D ratios as shown in one of the early Macwhyte books for 7 x 19 cable which showed 20 diameters for a minimum. Recommended was 24 diameters then. The 5" block had a pitch diameter of 3 3/4" and the 8" was 6 1/2" for 1/4" GAC. For some people, the 3 3/4" was WAAAAY too small. Max's response was that in most stage rigging systems, the cycling was less than 20 times a year. I agree. Some rigging sets cycle a lot at 100 times a year. Maybe even 300 times a year for a working theater with Wicked playing for 5 years. The Macwhyte D to D ratios were recommended for industrial situations where they may cycle 10 or 20 times an hour. Or more. So the argument about D to D ratios goes out of the window for me unless there will be high cycling rates. Especially after what I learned about realistic D to D ratios with automated shows. With a cycle every 8 to 12 minutes, 14 hours a day, D to D ratios of 36 to 50 are very realistic.

With the above said, routine inspections will pickup a cable fray long before catastrophic failure happens. Of course, all rigging is inspected regularly. Right???

So, to answer your question more directly: I think nylatron is one f the best sheave materials for many reasons. However, there is not a block on the market that is as versatile as the Channon block was.

T

Attachments

• 20221019_164143.jpg
    20221019_164143.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 20221019_164224.jpg
    20221019_164224.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 20221019_164417.jpg
    20221019_164417.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 121
Patience is a virtue, I'm told.

I had to find one to show you one of them.

Advantages:

1. The spun steel sheave: It was a piece of heated steel spun at a high speed and the edge was split and formed into the V shape shown in pic 224. The shape allowed you to properly support a 3/16" cable and sort of properly support a 5/32" or 1/8" cable. The grooves were larger on the larger sheaves. After forming, the sheave was hardened to 53 or 56 on the Rockwell "C" scale for hardness. The same, or close to same, hardness as GAC. Pic 417 shows an 8" sheave outside of the side plates. This one does not have the holders for the double bearings.

With the wide V shape and equal hardness to the cable, JHC said you could have fleet angles of up to 7 degree's (Heresy!). Even at that extreme angle, the cable and sheave didn't wear each other. Surprisingly, they weren't noisy when used at those angles with 400 LB on them. I can attest to this having seen some of them that were in place for 2 and 3 decades with no visible wear on the sheave or cable. Admittedly, you worked for 1 to 1.5 degrees as much as possible, but sometimes being able to go to 3 to 6 degrees could be a lifesaver, especially in rehab work.

The blocks were made at 5", 8" with a 3/16 or 1/4 groove and 12" with a 1/4 or 3/4 groove.

2. The bearings were sealed precision ball bearings. I think they were Fafner 202 bearings with a 17 MM ID that is a ubiquitous bearing and cheap. For head blocks there were larger bearings, but the loft blocks were all the same bearing. There were two bearings in the later models that had a solid shaft and a single bearing in the earlier models that had a hollow splined shaft. The single bearing model was rated for 500 LB at 8 to 1 and the double bearing model was rated for 750 LB. They spin very easily. Even loaded. The 8" and 12" sheaves had the double bearings only.

3. What you see in pic 143 is a 5" with a swivel head. Channon used a GR5 5/8 rod and two angle clips to make beam clamps up to 8 or 10" beam flanges. When we bought them in crates of 1,000 blocks, they had nothing in the top where the swivel is. You could add the swivel, or a U-clip that was 3" long and bolt in place with 2 x 3/8 GR5 bolts and the above mentioned 5/8 rod beam clamp for a soft underhang block or add two base irons for a hard mounted underhang block or upright block. You could also use B7 (GR5) 3/8 rod and stack 4 or 5 together and make a mule block or head block. The last ones I remember ordering in the early 90's were about $28/block. We could buy mounting hardware or make it.

4. The sheave is recessed in the side plates. It is impossible to have a cable get between the sheave and the side plate. JHC was a pioneer in high speed hydraulic rigging, they needed the non-fouling side plates due to cable whip at startup or stop.

5. A sort of downside of the 5" block and 3/16 GAC which it was designed for:
JHC used the minimum D to D ratios as shown in one of the early Macwhyte books for 7 x 19 cable which showed 20 diameters for a minimum. Recommended was 24 diameters then. The 5" block had a pitch diameter of 3 3/4" and the 8" was 6 1/2" for 1/4" GAC. For some people, the 3 3/4" was WAAAAY too small. Max's response was that in most stage rigging systems, the cycling was less than 20 times a year. I agree. Some rigging sets cycle a lot at 100 times a year. Maybe even 300 times a year for a working theater with Wicked playing for 5 years. The Macwhyte D to D ratios were recommended for industrial situations where they may cycle 10 or 20 times an hour. Or more. So the argument about D to D ratios goes out of the window for me unless there will be high cycling rates. Especially after what I learned about realistic D to D ratios with automated shows. With a cycle every 8 to 12 minutes, 14 hours a day, D to D ratios of 36 to 50 are very realistic.

With the above said, routine inspections will pickup a cable fray long before catastrophic failure happens. Of course, all rigging is inspected regularly. Right???

So, to answer your question more directly: I think nylatron is one f the best sheave materials for many reasons. However, there is not a block on the market that is as versatile as the Channon block was.

T
Ted, thanks for one of the most complete and concise answers to a question I have ever received on C.B. I have, without knowing the history or derivation of these sheaves, used and seen them used many times over the years. The shaping process used in the initial forming sounds exciting. I would have loved to actually seen the process happen! Thanks again for a great answer!

Ted, thanks for one of the most complete and concise answers to a question I have ever received on C.B. I have, without knowing the history or derivation of these sheaves, used and seen them used many times over the years. The shaping process used in the initial forming sounds exciting. I would have loved to actually seen the process happen! Thanks again for a great answer!
You're welcome.

These blocks were a bit of an outlier because they were so different than the standard. Sometimes it was difficult to get them accepted due to the differences.

What kind of bearings did they have?
Was it Timken bearings?

About 1983 I toured the Tiffin factory, and happened to give a pulley a gentle spin. Employees tell me they expect it to coast to a stop any day now.

Was it Timken bearings?

About 1983 I toured the Tiffin factory, and happened to give a pulley a gentle spin. Employees tell me they expect it to coast to a stop any day now.
Mostly Fafner. But 202 bearings are a somewhat stock size and a commodity item used in many industries. I believe Timken bought Fafner a number of years ago. Here's a link: https://www.motionindustries.com/products/sku/00051309

BTW- When I was employed by Tiffin from '94 to '96, they were getting low on the WWII Timken bearings that the company bought right after the war. Two box cars of them. It took a while.

T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back