I have no words.....

Everyone meters the load side before they connect it to equipment right? RIGHT???????
Not me. I measure the LINE connector side. Until attached, the LOAD connector side never has any power to measure.

proxy.php

thanks, @porkchop, you said my thoughts in a far more elegant fashion.

Last edited:
It didn't have -- as I believe NEC requires -- a

480V

sign a foot high on the front of the box?
Nope. This is the same design that had the entire Center labeled with helpful things like "receptacles", with no room. Also fixtures, no room. Or, best of all, they forgot emergency power transfer switches for the main and second halls, and the entire 9500 seat arena. But that's another thread.

Not to jump in at the end but I have dealt first hand with some of these questions. First connecting cam locks to a SO cable is permitted so long as the termination is made in a listed junction box. I have never seen it done appropriately with full size cams but several carnival operators have 6/5 cables run to their equipment with mini cam connectors on the ends. They have a large listed enclosure where the termination is made and the strain relief on the SO cord is affixed to the enclosure and the cams are terminated inside the listed enclosure. I was told it is allowed bacause the inner shields for the conductors are only exposed inside the listed enclosure which is not a violation of the NEC. (This is also why they are allowed to use a single pole conductor on a load less than 200 amps.) So theoretically speaking depending on how the cable is terminated when in use it isn't a definitely forbidden practice.

Secondly, NEC does not have a requirement for the color of non grounded conductors. The neutral conductor of a branch circuit must be identified in accordance with 200.6 [210.5(A)]. Equipment grounding conductors can be bare, covered, or insulated. Insulated equipment grounding conductors size 6 AWG and smaller must have a continuous outer finish either green or green with one or more yellow stripes, in conformance with 250.119 [210.5(B)]. On equipment grounding conductors 4 AWG and larger, insulation can be permanently reidentified with green marking at the time of installation at every point where the conductor is accessible [250.119(A)]. Ungrounded conductors must be identified as follows" [210.5(C)]: Also, "Conductors with insulation that’s green or green with one or more yellow stripes can’t be used for an ungrounded or neutral conductor [250.119]." Additionally, If the premises wiring system contains branch circuits supplied from more than one voltage system, then each ungrounded conductor must be identified by phase and system at all termination, connection, and splice points.

The point of this is to say that there is no NEC requirement on the color of any conductor other than Ground. Some jurisdictions may set out specific colors based on voltage.

All of this was after a discussion with the school electrician who wired our portable dimmer pack with brown, yellow, and orange camlocks. I never specified colors in the request and he ordered the cheapest ones on grainger. At the end of the day we settled on large plaque on the front of the rack denoting the required input voltage. I would argue that instance common practice is that 120/207 and 120/240 installations are red, black, and blue; 277/480 installations are brown, orange, and yellow. Several of the generator companies in my area have all black cables quad aught and they mark them with electrical tape during installation to denote voltage and phase. Those are the colors I have seen them use during those installations. I will qualify this with the fact all of these experiences are limited to the St. Louis region and standard practice may vary in other localities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back