Conventional Fixtures I like to lamp my S4's at....

At what wattage do you lamp your SourceFours?

• 575W

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • 750W

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • 375W

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Wait...you can get different wattages for S4's?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 550W (only for use with DimmerDoubler™)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grog12

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
which wattage?

575w

It's bright, but at the same time not so hot that you need gel extenders or an inventory of HT gels.

I suppose I should expound a little.

We lamp all of our wash lights (PAR/PARNel) at 750w.
All of our ERS at 575w.
And we have 375's on hand for our Jrs in lab situations primarily.

Well lets see:
Generally, I use 575s.
If its a long throw, I use 750.
If its a 70˚ or 90˚, I use 750.
And I have a pile of 375s for if I'm touring this one show into ballrooms with limited power or extremely close throws.

So, all of the above I suppose.

The one choice your missing is the 77v lamps for dimmer doubling. But I've never used any of those, so thats OK.

750w right now but that's with a 35' trim in a concert situation.

we use 575 mostly for the same reasons as MNicolai. On occasion, we use 750's for special purpose spots. Now, 375's I've never seen or used.

We use 575s for all the standard lensed units (19˚-50˚). For Zooms, 14˚, and 10˚ we use 750s. All of the lamps we use are the high output variety.

Long life or standard? You do give up some lumens with the long life version.

For me its 575 long life

Long-life. I deal mostly with school productions, and the longevity is more valuable than overall brightness.

Does anyone know of a website that explains the differences between types of lamps? Not wattage, but different types of lamps and differences such as color temperature, energy efficiency, etc...

I know we have several people who sell lamps for a living and if you could point me in the right direction... Maybe I'm just not trying the right search phrases on Google and CB.

Does anyone know of a website that explains the differences between types of lamps? Not wattage, but different types of lamps and differences such as color temperature, energy efficiency, etc...

I know we have several people who sell lamps for a living and if you could point me in the right direction... Maybe I'm just not trying the right search phrases on Google and CB.

http://www.flash-light.org.uk/pdf/brochures/USHIO.pdf

The simple difference is that to have a higher color temp, a lower amount of lumens must be the result of that compromise. That may not answer all of your questions, but should help so you can at least see some of the differences.

Everything 750w extended life, unless in a tight power situation then 575w non extended life. For more important specials and what not, I use 750w non extended life.

I am also in the same boat that I have never seen a 375w before.

Often I am limited to the number of dimmers available so I use 575w. I prefer the color temperature of the 750w.

Of course it depends on the purpose of the light and the unit itself.

The first time a put a 750 in was when I bought a new S4 19 degree and the 750 lamp came with it. I hung the instrument plugged it in and turned it on to find out that it didn't work. So I put a 575 in and tried again and it worked fine. Never have touched or used a 750 since.

We have a few 375s kickin around the S4 bench in the shop just for testing lamp caps after we repair them or put a new ceramic in.

At school, I we use all 575s except for the fixtures that have I-Cues on them.

At work, it's mostly 575s that go out, with a few orders requesting 750s.

I haven't been using the good ol' S4's, being stuck with only Shakespeares for company. We keep the 575s in stock for those. when I was in college we used the 575s for our S4s. Might be ordering some 750s for the Shakespeares for the next show.

we just switched to all s4's last year so currently running in 750W on our mainstage but in our studio we have 575s, I think they each work well where they are, 750 would probably be too bright in the studio, and 575 not bright enough in mainstage, but we are using 750 until we run out then use the 575s that came in an energy grant. But after making my statement about 575s not bright enough in mainstage, I have not used 575s in our mainstage yet, the 575s I have in studio are in some old white S4's which, funny story, but they were donated to us from a Meijer food store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back