Conventional Fixtures I like to lamp my S4's at....

At what wattage do you lamp your SourceFours?

• 575W

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • 750W

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • 375W

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Wait...you can get different wattages for S4's?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 550W (only for use with DimmerDoubler™)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
...but they were donated to us from a Meijer food store.
I have noticed in the past that Meijer's produce department was lit with all SourceFours. The one I went to this past June had all HID PARs, possibly Juno or Halo brand.

375w lamps are a great option for running lights (you know, blue light in the wings), etc. Six to a dimmer sure makes life easier.

(that's the only thing I've used 'em for)

--Sean

375w lamps are a great option for running lights...
I was chastised for suggesting this to gafftaper. Sean, you've never plugged them into the wall in a ballroom to uplight plants or splash color on the walls (another good use for 375W lamps)?

I was chastised for suggesting this to gafftaper. Sean, you've never plugged them into the wall in a ballroom to uplight plants or splash color on the walls (another good use for 375W lamps)?

Who chastised you?

No, I don't do much event lighting. And when I do, it's for extra cash....you know, I get to be "dumb guy with wrench".

--Sean

I didn't even know you could get different wattages for those lamps. It makes sense, and now 750 watts seems a bit high, but that's because all my school generally uses is 575 watts.

Who gave you trouble? I think that is a great idea!

Sean and gafftapegreenia: Icewolf08 said "That is crazy talk" here, when I suggested gafftaper use S4PARs with blue glass filters to light his backstage areas. It's how a certain production company from our northern neighbor does it...

Look out Alex, now I have me a posse!:twisted:

Sean and gafftapegreenia: Icewolf08 said "That is crazy talk" here, when I suggested gafftaper use S4PARs with blue glass filters to light his backstage areas. It's how a certain production company from our northern neighbor does it...

Look out Alex, now I have me a posse!:twisted:

Well.... depending on trim heights it would probably be more cost effective to buy blue PAR-38 and stick them in cheapo lights.

My experience is that when using theatrical fixtures as running lights you often don't need to run them very high. Therefore, changing gel is a couple-of-times-a-year task. Throw some color extenders in the units and you don't need to worry about it.

I personally wouldn't bother buying the Devon glass for run lights, but can see why a permanent install and/or a commercial venture would.

(I hate clip lights....I'm thinking of buying some of the "JDR" blue LED lamps that are starting to pop up, and put them into PAR-20 Birdies for prop tables, narrow paths, etc.)

--Sean

I use the 750 watt, 2000 hour GE lamps for my near and far catwalk fixtures and for my high lighting ring. I use the 375 watt lamps for my audience 'readers' on the S4 Jr. units. I would rather operate at a lower intensity level and know that I could go brighter and I think that it might let the lamps live longer.

No one likes dimmer doubling that makes me giggle

Actually, I make extensive use of dimmer doubling, due to a limited number of front of house circuits. I have 26 FOH circuits for a 2600 seat ampetheatre, 12 of which were installed last year, so I used to have only 14 FOH circuits. So I keep a pretty good stock of 550 watt, 77 volt.

As for my other fixtures, it depends on location and use. Over the stage 575's are fine, If I'm using a standard 120 volt 5 degree or 10 degree, I'll use a 750 watt lamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back