I need everyones input...

I think you should take a few things into consideration.

1. How technically challenging is the show?
Do you have a lot of scene changes and fly cues where you would need to know if something was clear in the wings before calling the go for the next cue?

if you do have some large complicated changes, I would suggest calling it from backstage if there's room for you. This simply cuts down on the timing if YOU can see when things are safe to move, especially if you have a crew backstage who are inexperienced or have their hands busy pushing scenery...it's difficult sometimes for them to get a chance, or to remember, to let you know they're clear.

2. Where you are most comfortable is also a factor. If you haven't called a show before, and you have at least one camera with a full view of the stage from FOH, go with backstage. Even if you don't have a full view from backstage, you can give standbys to your board ops for visual cues and let them take it.

I've done it both ways. When I first began stage managing in my first few years of college, I called from the spot booth in the balcony. The audiance was never up there and we didn't have spotlights, so it worked out nicely. However it was still difficult to stay quiet because of the acoustics in the house. I did that because that is what the stage managers before me had been doing. After the first big musical I called from up there, I moved to calling from backstage. We got some cameras and though the image was horribly washed out when the lights were on, I didn't need to see the stage anyways. I knew the show and followed the script, called the cues from the book, didn't need to watch it. The board ops took visuals with my standbys and I could see most of it from my position SR most of the time just in case. Being backstage helped incredibly with the scene changes and cut down the delays big time.

So, ultimately it's up to you. Where are you going to be most comfortable? But also keep in mind the technical aspects of the show, and call from where it will make you more effeciant in doing your job. :)

What exactly does calling a show mean? I have asked a few different people and ive gotten different answers.

What exactly does calling a show mean? I have asked a few different people and ive gotten different answers.

The stage manager takes detailed notes of the show in the prompt script. This includes not just acting notes but also the exact timing for all sound effects, light effects, set changes... any time a crew member has a job to do during the show should be in the prompt script.

Depending on the SM and the crew, it goes something like this... The prompt script is marked so that a few minutes ahead there is a warning to the crew member who has to do something ("Warning light cue 27 is coming up" answered by the light op "Cue 27 thank you"). About 30 seconds ahead there is a stand by call ("Stand by for light cue 27" answered "Cue 27 standing by"). And finally the go ("Cue 27 go").

The S.M. is the conductor of this orchestra. NOBODY does ANYTHING without hearing the "G word" (go) from the S.M. The S.M. likewise must be very careful about choice of words used as things that sound like go or changes in the standard word sequence can lead to crew members going when they aren't supposed to.

Like I said different stage managers and theaters will have different procedures but that's a rough outline how it is done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back