Installs I need help

Can anyone help me out with this problem ?? We have been doing Live stream for about 2 yrs . Now want to move to 2 cameras. We have been going straight from camera to a UVCHDCAP capture, and running Vmix on the computer to do the mix and stream. WE bought a Roland V-1HD switcher to do the switch between the two cameras but now can't get ANYTHING to the Vmix except a blue screen. I've tried Roland, with no response. Vmix forum board. and they tell me I have to get the mix to recognize the new camera. but it STILL has to all go through the capture. and that's what is showing as the camera !! Anybody have any ideas ???

The Roland and the capture box are not "doing the HDCP dance" with success. I don't know enough about that box to offer troubleshooting, but if all you get is blue screen or color bars into Vmix, that's where the problem is.

See if you can borrow or rent a Black Magic Design ATEM MINI Pro. It can stream directly, input 1 has a scaler if you need that. You can do a variety of transitions. If you have an iPad (iOS v14 or higher) you can try Adam Tow's Mix Effect to control the ATEM Mini and do lots of cool transitions, supers, and keys.

I think I know what you are saying, and yes they seem not to be "doing the dance". And that's why I was kinda that maybe we need a different Capture. It is the one that Sweetwater sent with the Roland in the beginning, but we didn't have the second camera to try it until now. and as stated before, the capture has worked for 2 yrs, WITHOUT the Roland.

I'd call up your Sweetwater rep and see what the Candy Hive thinks. My first HDMI/USB capture box ($40 on Amazon) died after about a year of 24/7 use.

If you have the manual for your capture box, see what Der Boxen will automatically accept as input signal, and see if they mention how it handles HDCP and then compare/contrast with what the Roland is doing/can do with the PGM output.

Since Vmix still sees the capture as a virtual camera, at least the ouput side of the capture box appears to be working.

I can do that, but after we Bought the "Package" (Camera, capture, Roland and a WHOLE bunch of cables we still haven't used) we weren't too happy with them. We dumped about $8,000 with all the video equip. AND a X-32 sound board (probably see my posts about that here somewhere). I'll give them the fact that it was right at the beginning of Covid and it took forever to get everything. When we first got things to hook up and had problems with that. S W was of No help. I got everything I needed to get up and running RIGHT HERE, on SoundBooth. And have to say Thank You for that. I am thinking of just going to Thunderbolt link and Xmix does support two cameras.

I am not the best at video stuff but could scaling be a problem? I have heard that if the scaling is not the same or not in the scope things will not work. Not sure if that was just black magic or not bur that is what we were using at the time.
Regards
Geoff

Can you connect the Roland to the computer via usb? I run my cameras into an ATEM Mini Pro and just connect to OBS on my laptop via the usb. If the Roland can't do that, maybe consider returning it and switching to an Atem if it has the features you need.

The in's and out's on the Roland are HDMI. which goes into the capture. That goes to the computer vie a USB-C. Our Laptop doesn't have a standard USB I suppose I could find a HDMI to USB-C to try that, but for the LIve stream we have to go through the capture. I was thinking of just running both cameras though the laptop/vMix. But still have to get a capture device in there somewhere.

Can anyone help me out with this problem ?? We have been doing Live stream for about 2 yrs . Now want to move to 2 cameras. We have been going straight from camera to a UVCHDCAP capture, and running Vmix on the computer to do the mix and stream. WE bought a Roland V-1HD switcher to do the switch between the two cameras but now can't get ANYTHING to the Vmix except a blue screen. I've tried Roland, with no response. Vmix forum board. and they tell me I have to get the mix to recognize the new camera. but it STILL has to all go through the capture. and that's what is showing as the camera !! Anybody have any ideas ???
I suggest start by narrowing down what works. That will help you eliminate variables and get closer to identifying what is causing the issue.
  • Does the output of the Roland work to something other than the capture device, such as a monitor, tv or projector?
  • Do the camera connected to the Roland display properly in the Roland's preview output? According to the manual (https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/V-1HD_v2_eng01_W.pdf), it looks like you can configure the preview output to be a duplicate of the program, a preview output, or a multiview.
  • Have you tried setting the different input/output settings with the toggle switch on the Roland?
  • Have you tried changing the frame rate for the output on the Roland (page 14)? It also looks like the Roland can output color bars, which would be useful for testing.
  • Have you tried changing the camera output to different options? It looks like there are a limited number of signal types the Roland can accept. The cameras may allow for multiple output types, including some that the Roland will not accept.

Yeah, video is "fun" if there is anything in the digital video signal the receiving device doesn't like it just won't work. This can be anything from the frame rate to resolution or who knows!
I agree that for this use case the ATEM Mini Pro is a way better solution than the Roland as it has the USB output built right in.
Just have to look at your input device (capture card) and check what it's looking for...
Once you verify that it SHOULD be working, try looking at the output of the Roland directly with a monitor or something. Hard to say what you have going on.

It's impossible to say which device is at fault here, especially when HDCP could be involved. HDCP is implemented wrong all too often. I have to say that neither Roland or Startech instills confidence in me that they'll play nice with others. I have had good luck with some other Startech products, but video production hardware is outside their typical product range. Roland has always marched to their own beat, with unique equipment that cuts too many corners. Roland sells competing capture devices and encoders, so it could be deliberate incompatibility.

So, after $100 an hour, the guy that helped me set up the Vmix in the first place got everything "dancing". The Roland now does "see" the vmix. And we can go about using up to the 4 HDMI ports for cameras, If we want. It all had him scratching his head at the beginning. but after working the settings on the Vmix, ( looked like he was typing a letter to someone), we are running. I do thank you all for your input. I always can get some ideas when I come here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back