Design I need to run 10 cables up a cinder block wall. How can I mount them?

The bottom two thirds of the posts above mine are on point - these are extension cords which are acceptable only for temporary use (is it still 90 days in CA? It's 30 here in NV)...So, it's either conduit or you pull the cables in/out as needed and make sure someone sees you doing it so you can document that you actually do that.

The ocassional 1' stick of strut anchored to the wall (if fire-rated, fill the penetrations with intumescent fire caulk) with a D-ring or such to help hold the cable tight to the wall might be a good idea.
Somewhat related question. If in NV extension cords are only acceptable to be used for 30 days, how are lighting rigs wired for semi-permanent shows or touring shows?

Genuine question. Thinking about every show I've ever done, even a 10' extension to get from a circuit to a taildown wouldn't be allowed. Much less, booms in legs, and other creatively positioned fixtures that are slightly too far away from their source circuit.
Does soca count as an extension too?

Finally, we all need to be careful with the use of "temporary" vs. "portable". What we do in the theatre is
portable covered by NEC article 520. Temporary is covered by NEC article 590 and aimed at construction sites, with associated time limits and other requirements that have nothing to do with theatre installations. Use of the word "temporary" with an inspector is fraught with peril, IMHO.
also

Yes, SOCA counts. The big shows (Cirque, etc.) are all conduit with SJ/SJO hardwired whips (IOW, one continuous run of SJ cord from J-box to J-box, and properly dressed to please the OSHA folks if it happens to be connected to something that moves). Other shows occupy a 4-wall space that is maintained by the host property in the same way (so, the show changes but the building doesn't (*much*)). The other/smaller shows have to renew their permit every 30 days, so everything comes down/apart, the inspector/s sees that, then the inspector/s return the next day once it's all re-assembled to inspect and green tag. It also varies a bit from municipality to municipality (most people don't realize that The Strip isn't actually in Las Vegas - it's in Paradise, NV).

In some ways, a newer temporary show is safer/more to code than a long-standing permanent venue because the permanent one has had many, many hands making changes over the years. M

Yes, SOCA counts. The big shows (Cirque, etc.) are all conduit with SJ/SJO hardwired whips (IOW, one continuous run of SJ cord from J-box to J-box, and properly dressed to please the OSHA folks if it happens to be connected to something that moves). Other shows occupy a 4-wall space that is maintained by the host property in the same way (so, the show changes but the building doesn't (*much*)). The other/smaller shows have to renew their permit every 30 days, so everything comes down/apart, the inspector/s sees that, then the inspector/s return the next day once it's all re-assembled to inspect and green tag. It also varies a bit from municipality to municipality (most people don't realize that The Strip isn't actually in Las Vegas - it's in Paradise, NV).

In some ways, a newer temporary show is safer/more to code than a long-standing permanent venue because the permanent one has had many, many hands making changes over the years. M
Socapex = 6 extension cords; Pyle National = 12 extension cords. Works for me.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

So here is a little more info. I am the "technical director" for our drama dept. Really, I am the woodshop teacher who oversees the sound and lights for our shows. I have learned everything I know (And I don't claim to know much) by watching videos and I have a friend in the business who is an "expert" who helps me out when I get stuck on something. We have a school theater that needs more lights. I bought a dimmer that has 20 stage pin connections because that is what all the other lights use. It is the same dimmer that we currently have so I thought it was a good choice even though it is old. The dimmer is mounted about 8 feet off the floor near the company switch so it can get power. ( I put it there and I can move if as well) The added lights will all be up on the grid. I got hundreds of feet of stage pin cable at an auction for $40.00 with the connectors. So I thought I could just run that cable up the wall and then to the lights. But it sounds like that may be a problem. I do not want to do anything that is illegal or unsafe in any way. In my mind it's like running an extension cord. The wall is cinder block and I can drill into and mount brackets or whatever.
maybe the dimmer package belongs up nearer the grid, suitably double-securely mounted, of course. Also - carefully test that used stage pin cable, and please open every connector to be sure the ground isn't missing, hot and neutral crossed, etc. If you have a ton of it, you could make Edison to stage pin adapters (congruent pair) and use any old $15 plug in outlet tester, too. (of course, check the outlet itself first).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back