The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

I.S.O. Good sound design texts.

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by SweetBennyFenton, May 16, 2007.

1. SweetBennyFenton

SweetBennyFenton Active Member

Hello all. I will soon be moving in to a job that will require quite a good deal more sound design knoledge than I currently possess. I know we have some very expierienced sound people on this board, so I thought I would ask for recomendations for good texts I can use to read up on the subject.

What I'm looking for:

1. Something that handles the technical knowledge; setting up, running, mixing, troubleshooting and the info needed to actually mount a sound design.

2. Something that handles the more esoteric ideas of design. The design proccess, underscoring, setting mood, etc.

If there is one text that handles both of these, that would be great.

What do you think? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

2. 6ftstudios

6ftstudios Member

a great book for the technical knowledge is Yamaha's Sound Reinforcement Handbook. It'll run ya around 40 bucks.

3. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

Yup, the Yamaha book is really all that you'll need. Very good investment, very complete.

4. SHARYNF

SHARYNF Well-Known Member

The Yammie book is very good. I would also suggest that you take a look at the forums on www.prosoundweb.com, and look at the study hall area, and the archives. These are an excellent resource

Sharyn

5. wolf825

wolf825 Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

6. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Or Don't help him out, He'll get fired before he gets started then I don't have to replace him ! :twisted:

No, Seriously, He's landed a sweet new gig and I couldn't be happier for him.

7. mbenonis

mbenonis Wireless Guy Administrator

Radio Engineer
    I've heard good things about "Sound Design" by John Leonard. I've never used it personally, but you might look into it.

8. noozer42

noozer42 Member

Another great audio resource. Texts from basic to advanced. Info on equipment. Lots of stuff...

Audio Resources

Hope it helps and good luck!

[email protected]
    513-885-8516

9. Kally123

Kally123 Member

"Theater Sound" By John A Leonard is a good one. Don't know if that is the one that mbenonis ment or not. Also as a sound designer it is good to know about the recording aspects too. Modern Recording Techiniques by David Miles Huber is a good place to start there. And yes the Ymaha handbook is an excelent resource.

10. epimetheus

epimetheus Well-Known Member

Electrical Engineer
    Another vote for the Yamaha book...

11. josh88

josh88 Remarkably Tired. Premium Member Fight Leukemia

A great book is the Sound Effects Bible which includes a lot of information you might not immediately need, but also a ton of information related to sound work. Its a great thing to pick up down the line. It does give a lot of information about mics and example sound set ups as well as recording things. I haven't read the Yamaha book so it may all be covered in that, not sure. In either case the bible is a fun book that's easy to read with great information.

Film Books

12. SHARYNF

Just like this forum there is a forum at
    Forums and Community - Pro Sound Web what is very good

you can also subscribe to magazines, like Prosound, Live event TapeOP, and there is an excellent magazine in the UK that you can subscribe to online

Home: Sound On Sound music recording technology magazine

Most of the latest information comes from the forums and the magazines, the books provide a good basis.

Sharyn

13. museav

museav CBMod CB Mods Departed Member

Acoustical, audio and audiovisual consultant
    Are you limited to books and text materials? There are a number of good courses and workshops out there so look for any near you.

On the tech side, Rane has a number of good White Papers and information on audio on their web site while Middle Atlantic has some really good documents on audio power and grounding and equipment rack ventilation on their web site.

If you are getting into sound design and audio, you might also want to brush up a bit on acoustics as that can play into both aspects.

14. Chris15

Chris15 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Ladies and gents, whilst it's great to keep posting useful resources, please note that the original request was the best part of 3 years ago and hence direct answers to the OP are likely not so relevant now...

15. SHARYNF

Possibly so but the OP was last on the forums last night at 7pm

Sharyn

16. Chris15

The OP is very much still around the place, but the original question was relevant to a job change that occurred 3 years ago...

17. SHARYNF

We keep wanting people to search the forums, and the answers were generic to anyone interested in ways to learn about sound design

I still say this is primarily an educational forum, so the whole issue of answering generic questions with answers that may be relevant to a lot of folks overides peoples annoyance with answers to old posts.

Sharyn

18. Chris15

Hence I suggested it was good to keep posting, but just to bear in mind that the original situation is probably resolved by now...

19. museav

museav CBMod CB Mods Departed Member

Acoustical, audio and audiovisual consultant
    I missed the date of the OP but since SweetBenny is still around what would be nice is to find out what resources they did find useful.