I.S.O. Good sound design texts.

SweetBennyFenton

Hello all. I will soon be moving in to a job that will require quite a good deal more sound design knoledge than I currently possess. I know we have some very expierienced sound people on this board, so I thought I would ask for recomendations for good texts I can use to read up on the subject.

What I'm looking for:

1. Something that handles the technical knowledge; setting up, running, mixing, troubleshooting and the info needed to actually mount a sound design.

2. Something that handles the more esoteric ideas of design. The design proccess, underscoring, setting mood, etc.

If there is one text that handles both of these, that would be great.

What do you think? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Yup, the Yamaha book is really all that you'll need. Very good investment, very complete.

Or Don't help him out, He'll get fired before he gets started then I don't have to replace him ! :twisted:

No, Seriously, He's landed a sweet new gig and I couldn't be happier for him.

I've heard good things about "Sound Design" by John Leonard. I've never used it personally, but you might look into it.

"Theater Sound" By John A Leonard is a good one. Don't know if that is the one that mbenonis ment or not. Also as a sound designer it is good to know about the recording aspects too. Modern Recording Techiniques by David Miles Huber is a good place to start there. And yes the Ymaha handbook is an excelent resource.

"Theater Sound" By John A Leonard is a good one. Don't know if that is the one that mbenonis ment or not. Also as a sound designer it is good to know about the recording aspects too. Modern Recording Techiniques by David Miles Huber is a good place to start there. And yes the Ymaha handbook is an excelent resource.

Another vote for the Yamaha book...

A great book is the Sound Effects Bible which includes a lot of information you might not immediately need, but also a ton of information related to sound work. Its a great thing to pick up down the line. It does give a lot of information about mics and example sound set ups as well as recording things. I haven't read the Yamaha book so it may all be covered in that, not sure. In either case the bible is a fun book that's easy to read with great information.

Film Books

Are you limited to books and text materials? There are a number of good courses and workshops out there so look for any near you.

On the tech side, Rane has a number of good White Papers and information on audio on their web site while Middle Atlantic has some really good documents on audio power and grounding and equipment rack ventilation on their web site.

If you are getting into sound design and audio, you might also want to brush up a bit on acoustics as that can play into both aspects.

Ladies and gents, whilst it's great to keep posting useful resources, please note that the original request was the best part of 3 years ago and hence direct answers to the OP are likely not so relevant now...

Possibly so but the OP was last on the forums last night at 7pm

Sharyn

The OP is very much still around the place, but the original question was relevant to a job change that occurred 3 years ago...

The OP is very much still around the place, but the original question was relevant to a job change that occurred 3 years ago...

We keep wanting people to search the forums, and the answers were generic to anyone interested in ways to learn about sound design

I still say this is primarily an educational forum, so the whole issue of answering generic questions with answers that may be relevant to a lot of folks overides peoples annoyance with answers to old posts.

Sharyn

We keep wanting people to search the forums, and the answers were generic to anyone interested in ways to learn about sound design

I still say this is primarily an educational forum, so the whole issue of answering generic questions with answers that may be relevant to a lot of folks overides peoples annoyance with answers to old posts.

Sharyn

Hence I suggested it was good to keep posting, but just to bear in mind that the original situation is probably resolved by now...

I missed the date of the OP but since SweetBenny is still around what would be nice is to find out what resources they did find useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back