Automated Fixtures Icon M (Medusa) not dead yet?

well that could be exciting, I don't see PRG letting all the other companies with digital moving heads getting too far ahead. I'm sure in a year or two we will see lots of Icon 2's filling rigs with badboys!

OK, so I understand that a Digital Micromirror Device needs to have the mirrors kept cool, a result of a lot of heat from a light source. thus the patent for a method to keep the mirrors cool.

Not that I understand the concept, except that it's not a refrigerant system.

Refresh my memory again, especially given the Icon M referece (who's particulars escape me) as the the application in a moving light application. DMD's I recall, but not in a theatrical sense and why is it important to PRG ?.

Derek, I assume you placed this out here for just this kind of discussion ?.

Steve B.

See this post. From Icon M:
proxy.php

The Icon M Luminaire utilizes the Texas Instruments Digital Light Processing (DLP) Micromirror technology. Features include 1,000 Digital Gobos and 250 Custom Vector Images or Grayscale Bitmaps, each with instant random access. Images can be shaped, cropped, scaled, rotated, indexed, tiled, blurred, diffused, overlaid, animated and morphed. The Icon M contains the entire DHA Gobo Catalogue onboard. DLP enables Digital Dimming, Iris, Strobe and Zoom functions.

In 2000, fixture development was scrapped when Production Resource Group purchased Lighting&Sound Design. In the purchase, PRG gained not only one of the leading concert touring companies, but also much intellectual property and many patents. Some say the new BadBoy can trace its roots to the standard Icon fixture; likewise with the V676 and the Icon Desk.

Last edited:
>>"Some say the new BadBoy can trace its roots to the standard Icon fixture; likewise with the V676 and the Icon Desk. "
Actually, the V676 is a direct descendant of the Virtuoso console (and I believe uses much of the same code base.) Additionally, the Bad Boy, is more of a Vari-Lite progeny than Icon, using color and gobo mechanisms similar to the VL-2c, and zoom similar to the VL-7.
(it does stand to reason, since both the Bad Boy and V676 are being developed in Dallas, by engineers that used to work for Vari-Lite, before the VL/VLPS split to Genlyte/PRG)

A bit of trivia... originally, a prototype of the VL-7 (circa 1997) used a liquid cooled LCD system for gobo images. Cooling was an issue, and the design was scrapped. The VL-7 's development took a different course, and the rest is history.

Just my $.02
RB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back