ICue Power supply

i just received my i cues and 1 50watt psu for them... It looks like a laptop psu that has a 4 pin xlr with the power going to pins 1 and 4. It has a 5 pin xlr for dmx in, and pins 2 and 3 from the dmx in go to pins 2 and 3 on the 4 pin xlr. The 4 pin xlr is what goes to the i cue... so essentially 24v dc power goes to pins 1 and 4 while dmx goes to pins 2 and 3. I want to get another psu so that i can use the icues at different locations move easily. Im in the process of tracking down a globtek transformer. Anybody have ideas or has done this before?

I wouldnt build your own. Buy another one. Why take a 600 dollar piece of gear and attempt to build a power supply for it that will void your warrenty in .2 seconds instead of spending the 130 to get another power supply or more cable.

I have to agree with Footer...just get the real PSU and not have to worry about screwing up your I-Cue.

Footer and soundlight are right.
As a manufacturer of color scrollers and rotators, an early question we ask if the accessory has trouble is this- "What power supply is being used?"

At that point, all bets are off if the PSU isn't CE rated. It doesn't matter to me whether the PSU is an Apollo brand or other, as long as it is compatible with the accessory it is driving.

Be careful-

Definitely only use a compatible and reliable power supply. You don't want to mess up the ICUEs. Check the Rosco website for compatible PSUs. I know you can run them off of the the PSUs from certain color scrollers, like Wybrons.

<I know you can run them off of the the PSUs from certain color scrollers, like Wybrons.>

That's not entirely true. Only the Forerunner model uses the same pin configuration to transfer power and data. The ColorRam uses a different power and data set-up as follows:

1 White 24 Volts DC 14 AWG
2 Green Data - 22 AWG
3 Red Data + 22 AWG
4 Black Ground 14 AWG

Power provided from pins 1 and 4 are opposite the Smart Color, SmartMove, Forerunner, Spectra Q and Chroma Q.

Please check the specs of your accessory before plugging any PSU into the unit. Manufacturer's warranty does not cover accessories damaged due to incorrect power supplies-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back