IDC wire interface

LPdan

I know it is not recommended to make connections of solid wire (Cat5 for example) to screw terminals. Any recommendations for simple interface devices? I'm imagining a small board with punch-down slots and terminal blocks, but no idea what products you might suggest.

I guess it depends on the application. IDC are used widely especially in communications and network situations.
I have used IDC Krone blocks to install led strip lights in a set piece that had a 36ch (12x RGB) controller mounted inside it. Once the set item was constructed on stage all I had to do was get under it and punch down all the wires in the blocks. took a few minuets and all was good as apposed to putting all those little wires into little holes and tightening screws. That part was done on the bench as a setup.
Generally low current applications is what I would use them for.
Regards

Geoff

RJ jacks and connectors can work pretty well for this sort of thing, and the tools and parts are readily available from a great many sources.

Geoff, please forgive me, but I seem to be easily amused. I also like typos. In your post when you talked about the punch down process you stated "took a few minuets". At least it didn't take a few waltzes. ;)

Geoff, please forgive me, but I seem to be easily amused. I also like typos. In your post when you talked about the punch down process you stated "took a few minuets". At least it didn't take a few waltzes. ;)
So I don't English good some times. I am glad you got a giggle out of it in these crazy times

If I search for IDC Krone blocks, looks like they interface IDC to a solder pin? Is that what you used? What is best place to source these?
OIP.jpg

This is what I use. Each slot is one connection. It is a 10pr connector for phones and communications but not for Hiband networking stuff. They are different.
Regards
Geoff

I'm sure I've seen "adapters" with a row of screw terminals and a matching row of Krone terminals - RS components used to do them, I think, back in the 80's/90's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back