The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Ideal Scrim Location

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by willbb123, May 29, 2009.

1. willbb123

willbb123 Active Member

Our theater functions as a road house. We keep a REP plot in the air, and have a collection of soft goods (legs, borders, scrim, midstage drop blackout, blackout curtain, and cyc). All of the soft goods can be moved where ever the renter wants them, except for our scrim and cyc. Currently our scrim is upstage at 19'-2" from the proscenium (the last lineset is 25'-8"). The scrim is so far upstage, it is basically useless. I want to move it more downstage.

What would be the ideal location for a black sharkstooth scrim? Our midstage drop is at 17'-2" (more of a 3/4 stage drop), and I defiantly want it downstage of that. I could put it at center, (12'-8") which would put it just about 2 feet away from our second electric. But I was thinking I want it even more downstage of that. I'm thinking about hanging it at 8'2" from the proscenium. Then it would be 4.5' upstage of our first electric, and about a foot away from a batten that I am currently using as an electric.

Where do you think the ideal location of a scrim would be? It needs to be in a place where shows can get the most use out of it, because it can not be moved. I've attached our lineset schedule which should make my post easier to understand.

Attached Files:

2. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Controls Technician - TAIT Towers
    I think that it really depends on how you see it being used. If you are thinking that people will use it for scrim through effects then downstage makes sense. If this is the goal, you will want to have a blackout drop on the closest linset US of the scrim that you can manage. Why? Because sometimes you want the scrim to be in and as opaque as possible which can't always be done with lights. However, a lot of people like to have a black scrim in close proximity to their cyc or painted drops as it helps to add some depth to the image. So of course in that case you would want to make sure that you leave enough room to fit cyc fixtures between your scrim and your cyc.

3. zac850

zac850 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that since your a road house the point of your black scrim is to make your cyc disappear, as opposed to do reveals behind (relatively few shows would want a full stage reveal like that, many shows need the cyc to disappear scene to scene).

Looking at your lineset schedule, I would personally put the scrim on lineset 25 (since I can't figure out why you would want two electrics between your cyc and your scrim), the 3E can then become backlight for the stage, while your 4E is the cyc lights. I would move the legs currently on lineset 25 to lineset 24, and ideally find another border to put on lineset 23.

This is my personal opinion. What would you do with the cyc in a mid-stage position? How often do you think you would use the scrim in that position?

4. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Agree with zac850, except for the part about another border on #23, as there's already a border 1' DS on #21. Question, [user]willbb123[/user], if all the other softgoods can be moved, why can't the cyc and black scrim?

5. willbb123

willbb123 Active Member

Thanks for all the responses.

There has only been one show that I can remember that has wanted to use the scrim, and they wanted it downstage of the midstage drop. I was trying to think of the last time that I have seen the scrim, and I honestly don't think that I ever have. The show that I'm working on right now is going to want a reveal effect, and thats what got me thinking.

There is a blackout curtain hung 2 battens in front of the cyc, so if it needs to disappear that curtain can be flown in.

The cyc has pockets in the floor that you stick a line in and it stretches the cyc. Other then that I don't have a good reason why it can't be moved. I have no idea why the scrim cant be moved.

6. seanandkate

seanandkate Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Educator
    If you use it that infrequently, do you really want it in the air all the time anyway? You might want to keep it folded and stored until needed. A nice new black srim looks great. A dusty black scrim looks horrible.

7. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Here's the probelm with a blackout curtain. You have to fly it in. You can't just seemlessy move into a scene with a black backdrop. Black scrims serve the job of keeping the bounce light from hitting the cyc, while allowing your cyc lights to do their job and still be seen by the audience. This also helps greatly when your frontlight is washing out your cyc.

8. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

So does a wrinkled one from being west-coasted and or folded improperly.