ideas for FX for "Stephanie Hero"

Umm, I'll have to post another pic this evening, as it's on my computer at home. BTW you can D/L an Autocad viewer for free from www.autodesk.com that way you can veiw/ print/ zoom in etc. on the DWG I posted.

so Van i downloaded the veiwer..looks GREAT!!..ill just modd the dementions to a larger size...two people have to be tied to the post..thats no problem...but i understand everything cept...did u have an idea for making the 3 series of light flicker to resemble fire?????.....

10minmater-

OHHHH>>>>>>ohhhhh...you meant a mult cable for DC...when i saw 112V i was thinking AC, so i was like dude....im not gonna go build a crazy switch board lol...but sweet ok ill run the plans by my tech advisor and some other ppl thanks like WOAHHH

2 min later...sigh...

one last question..how would i wire together the ACLs?....we dont have any PAR cans at my school....and we dont have the cash to buy them...like since i dont know the fine details of DC wiring...what guage wire should i use... thanks!

Last edited:
so Van i downloaded the veiwer..looks GREAT!!..ill just modd the dementions to a larger size...two people have to be tied to the post..thats no problem...but i understand everything cept...did u have an idea for making the 3 series of light flicker to resemble fire?????.....

10minmater-

OHHHH>>>>>>ohhhhh...you meant a mult cable for DC...when i saw 112V i was thinking AC, so i was like dude....im not gonna go build a crazy switch board lol...but sweet ok ill run the plans by my tech advisor and some other ppl thanks like WOAHHH

2 min later...sigh...

one last question..how would i wire together the ACLs?....we dont have any PAR cans at my school....and we dont have the cash to buy them...like since i dont know the fine details of DC wiring...what guage wire should i use... thanks!

Ok I'll hit the last first since it's the most important. Each one of the colored lines represents an individual circuit. you would run a peice of multi cable into the box and have a seperate hot and neutral for each circuit. these would then plug into three seperate dimmers. from there it is a very simple matter to have your LD program a chase sequence to run those three circuits in a flashing pattern. < I would assume it would need to be a fading chase as you want the light to slowly build as the fire catches. then suddenly die as it gets extinguished.>
Yes this is an AC wiring diagram. the reason the lights are wired as per the diagram is that individually, each light is 28 volts AC, by putting them in series, not parallel, the voltage consumption multiplies. 4 < lights> X 28v < per light> = 112v ac.
Sicne the cue is rather short < I assume.> I had merely intended that the ACL's would be mounted in 3" holes drilled into the angled plywood piece. If they were going to be on, at full, for any extended amount of time, I would suggest setting them in some kind of mount, rather than directly on the plywood, for fire safety.
I hope that helps.

ok woops i had a brain fart...for some reason i had forgotten that theatre lighting systems are AC not DC...silly me...anywho....
proxy.php
thats a pics of a 28V ACL...um yea....how do i wire to that....just conntect to the tiny lil prongs on the bottem with cable or do they sell stand alone sockets????...im feeling pretty stupid today.....

ok woops i had a brain fart...for some reason i had forgotten that theatre lighting systems are AC not DC...silly me...anywho....
proxy.php
thats a pics of a 28V ACL...um yea....how do i wire to that....just conntect to the tiny lil prongs on the bottem with cable or do they sell stand alone sockets????...im feeling pretty stupid today.....

Never feel stupid when asking questions.

Yes, typically you wire directly to the prongs on the back of the ACL unit. Some models have screw terminals that you can secure a spade connector to, some just have 1/4" tab connectors.

cool gotcha...btw i found this free CAD program im redoing ur sketch on to fit our size requirments ..so ill show ya it when im dont...

Cool! I need a free cad program...... AutoCad is way too expensive.Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Flame lights from Visual effects are cheap and effective.
http://www.visualeffectsinc.com/visualeffectsweb/flames.html
How much can I expect a small light to cost? Also I don't see it, but do they have any torch versions? Sorry to hijack a little but I don't want to open up another thread for basically the same question.
I want to use a torch for "Women of Troy" and I need to figure out how to hide a battery operated fan in a torch, probably a PVC base layer (PVC painted etc.)
My current thought is to use a LED maglight for the light source but any ideas on that would be welcome.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back