If you could change one thing about your theatre...

cdub260:

I would love to get some of those as well! I have the same worklights as you and they constantly burn out and fluorescents would solve that problem to some degree.

Actually, I was surprised that I was given the go-ahead to do this project. Those high bay fluorescents aren't exactly cheap, but to get the same coverage I'm getting with 5 high bays would have taken 14 standard fluorescent fixtures, and the install would have been far more labor intensive. I would probably have needed two to three times the amount of time to do the install if I had chosen that route.

Actually, I was surprised that I was given the go-ahead to do this project. Those high bay fluorescents aren't exactly cheap, but to get the same coverage I'm getting with 5 high bays would have taken 14 standard fluorescent fixtures, and the install would have been far more labor intensive. I would probably have needed two to three times the amount of time to do the install if I had chosen that route.

I suspect that I could convince the school to get some of those installed. As I mentioned before, they're replacing all of the house lights with LEDs for sake of energy efficiency as well as the fact that the lamps don't have to be replaced nearly as often. They also recently installed some high bay flourescents in our gym so they probably know the benefits of them. So I'm hopeful that it won't even come out of our budget! :grin:

The other thing that I'm wondering is if you mount them directly on the ceiling or if they get hung down a ways.

I would like 6 mic feeds for aerials and to move our sound board from a closed in booth into the auditorium so the sound man can actually hear without hanging out a window. Hey, after reading what some of ya’ll are working against, I’m happy.

After reading all this, Im actually satisfied with the recent, and upcoming improvements in our auditorium. We're getting a new sound system, and, from my understanding, an extended stage. All in all, though... catwalks would be VERY nice... I wouldnt mind some acoustic treatment. A booth expansion would be great, too. A scene shop would be WONDERFUL, especially if it allowed more storage for all of our CRAP wood...

CF

More lighting Cat5 taps.

I had read that you need to install a lot and then install more, but money ran out and sometimes I wish I had them all over the place.

SB

My HS main stage - Even though it was only built 7 years ago, a lot of the circuits don't work... I'd overhaul the electrics system (including new fixtures and board)

My HS "Little Theatre" - It'd old as all get out. I'd probably add a fly. Right now its dead-hung.

My main theatre at work - (It's a thirty year old +900 seat theatre) I would....hmm...... Demolish and rebuild from the ground up....

My HS main stage - Even though it was only built 7 years ago, a lot of the circuits don't work... I'd overhaul the electrics system (including new fixtures and board)

My HS "Little Theatre" - It'd old as all get out. I'd probably add a fly. Right now its dead-hung.

My main theatre at work - (It's a thirty year old +900 seat theatre) I would....hmm...... Demolish and rebuild from the ground up....

I mean, what makes the circuits break ?!?!?! I have like 6 circuits in a row that are dead and I think an entire batten may be dead on stage

If I could add anything...

well of all the theaters I work at/with (there are 4 or more if you can't multiple stages in one building) Only one of them has a counterweight system.

In one of the smaller theaters their is a booth big enough for both the light board and the sound system but for some reason the sound board operator is forced to sit in the back of the house, in full view and earshot of the entire audience and cast instead of being in the booth where I was raised to believe they should be. I realize that's really just a pet peeve of mine but given the chance I would change it.

Re: If I could add anything...

In one of the smaller theaters their is a booth big enough for both the light board and the sound system but for some reason the sound board operator is forced to sit in the back of the house, in full view and earshot of the entire audience and cast instead of being in the booth where I was raised to believe they should be. I realize that's really just a pet peeve of mine but given the chance I would change it.
We're you raised by a promoter or an accountant?
:lol:

Are you, by any chance, not a sound tech?

:)

well of all the theaters I work at/with (there are 4 or more if you can't multiple stages in one building) Only one of them has a counterweight system.

I can think of quite a few rebuttals to that statement sir. Keep this in mind; lights only needs to see what the audience sees. Sound needs to hear what the audience hears.

Just out of curiosity, I understand the issue with the audience hearing the sound tech but doesn't it make sense that the sound tech hears what the audience hears? Shove them back in a booth and they end up mixing for themselves rather than for the audience.

Perfect example, running sound for a band at a venue where they had 'renovated' the sound system including moving the mix position from the middle of the house to back under the balcony (this is a concert space, no fixed seating on the main floor only open floor). Partway through the performance I notice someone walking up from the stage and lookign right at me. He starts with a scowl on his face, but as he gets closer the look changes, including stopping a couple of times with a puzzled look. He finally gets back to me and says "I was coming here to complain about the sound but it sounds really good back here." Having mixed in that same venue before I had simply not considered how the new mix position was affected by the balcony and being so much further from the stage, and thus less affected by the stage levels, essentially mixing in a position that represented what very few of the audience, and probably no one who really cared, actually heard. That lesson stuck with me ever since. A great mix is only a great mix if it is what the audience hears.

ha ha ha ha :p

I am missing something on the whole accountant joke, but no I am deffinately not a sound technician.

And I realize this is why sound and lighting are preferably at separate locations in theatres.

I have just noticed that sitting right in front of the board operator can be sometimes very distracting. And since this theatre is small enough that microphones are never used, just sound effects, I feel like I could run sound for a show comfortably if I have set levels, and a monitor that tells me its working.

I'm not gonna disagree with anyone, cause sound is deffinately not my area of expertise, but I know its done allot that once rehearsals and tech runs are over sound control can be run from a booth or enclosed location, so again I guess I don't really know;)

I would love to replace all of our FOH lights with Source 4's. Right now they're a bunch of 20+ year old Altman 6x12 / 6X16's and they focus like crap.

I would want a bigger house. My school serves over 2500 students, yet our PAC can only host 310!!! I would be nice to fit the SENIOR (Im a Senior) class in there instead of having to cram us in the JV Gym for meetings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back