If you were asked what you SHOULD have started out with...

Good point, [user]Phil000[/user], but I think you're graying the issue between High School and College. My high school had virtually nothing; my college had better equipment than Broadway at the time.
[user]Saunier[/user], I'd go for the Ion before a moving light package. Stop by the New Member Board and tell us more about what you have now. Since you're new, I'll repeat my mantra: "In most situations, buying moving lights rather than renting them makes very little sense economically." Look at the ROI.
For teaching purposes the $49 LED PARs and $200 Disco scanners work just as well as the $3400 (new) PixelPAR and the $7500 (used) VL3000Spot.

This is why schools should rent.

We had a clay paky let the smoke out. Ended up trashing the board. New board is 2k. Hopefully it didnt take out the other boards, but have not fully checked it yet. If so it will be about 6200 to replace all the boards.

Actually the quotes we got for the ION were cheaper than most Expression boards... without an additional wing the price was under 5,000. I figured why not go for the newer technology. :)

MAC 550s are nive, but if you could, spring for something loke MAC 700s. Bright as heck, new, plus what I think is the biggest advantage, CMY!

MAC 550s are nive, but if you could, spring for something loke MAC 700s. Bright as heck, new, plus what I think is the biggest advantage, CMY!

See charc's quote below:

This is why schools should rent.

I completely agree with Charc that high schools shouldn't invest in arc source fixtures unless they will have a dedicated technical staff person who is just the lighting/sound guru and doesn't teach many classes. High-tech equipment requires cleaning and upkeep. This is why rental is the best option for high schools.

I second the "get more conventions" comments. Also, Shakespeare's are not so bad, as far as fixtures go, Source 4's are just industry standard.

Yeah, the Shakespeares do some of the job, but we've only got 30's. So I'm planning on ordering some 50 and 26 degree Source 4's and slowly over the period of several years switch out. I'm hoping by that time we'll have a blackbox where we'll be able to use the older Shakespeares (as well as our old board).

This year I have an additional stipend to do the TD work. Next year I'll have an additional planning period just to deal with the theatre and all of it's issues. I can't wait til that!!!

charc more youtube videos, what a surprise. In the words of Dane Cook "your love for him both concerns and confuses me" (Employee of the Month). All you have to do is pretent "him" in AMDJ fixtures and youtube videos.

Now somewhat on topic, like I said before DMX toys are the least of you worries right now. I had movers in HS, I was lucky and it was a good learning experience, and you MAC's will be fine to teach any aspiring light guru what they need to know about movers. I'm amazed you found an Ion for less than an expression, if that's true snatch that thing up.

Since this is high school theatre, I'd highly recommend at least one 1x20 or 2x10 fader wing, because you'll want to have some subs in a high school environment. If I were spec'ing for a HS, I'd spec a 2x20 fader wing with the console to provide plenty of faders to work with, and maybe a 1x20 for above the console as well, depending on how it would be used. (This being said, one of my favorite boards before ION was the Insight 3).

Take a look at the genie super straddle. However, I just used one this week for a show I was working on and it ended up breaking the hand of a crew member because the venue did not properly maintain it. One of the winches failed and the handle came whipping around and smacked him. However, if you need to get over seats, its the only way to go.

Take a look at the genie super straddle. However, I just used one this week for a show I was working on and it ended up breaking the hand of a crew member because the venue did not properly maintain it. One of the winches failed and the handle came whipping around and smacked him. However, if you need to get over seats, its the only way to go.

That's ridiculous. That puts him out of work! *Mumbles*

the ion is way over kill for a school go with an expression or something like that

It appears at this point that the Ion is the replacement for both the Express and Expression. Although it's possible that there may be more boards on the way from ETC (Anyone from ETC care to comment?). But either way the Express/Expression are old technology and production of them will stop in the near future. Although ETC will support them for many years to come... there are a lot of them out there.

However, in the end, unless you are on a low budget and buying used, I see no reason to buy old technology at this point. Buy Ion.

...However, in the end, unless you are on a low budget and buying used, I see no reason to buy old technology at this point. Buy Ion.
Here, hear! (Unless you'd like to scar your students for life, then you can buy that other Brand Lighting--A Division of "Type of Screwdriver Bit" Conglomerate).:twisted:

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 304

Users who are viewing this thread

Back