If you're a teacher.......

If you are a teacher, will you return to the classroom when schools open after the pandemic?

• Yes

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Probably

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Probably not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I teach one course a semester at a local university In Seattle. We started doing remote learning on March 16. I actually trust the administration to keep it remote while there is significant risk.

that said, I expect to stay distant and require masks, etc. and no large groups.

I teach theatre classes during summer school terms here in WI. Our classes this year are june/july and we will be holding them all online.

We're online until the fall currently and then we have a 3 plan proposal in place...

A. Return to business as usual
B. Hybrid of limited class sizes, lectures preferred delivery online, in class instruction provided with social distancing. Classroom Labs and equipment available for limited use with elevated cleaning and quarantine protocols.
C. Fully distance learning with no campus access.

We are currently preparing for Scenario B with an anticipated decision date of July 1st... as it goes recently only time will tell.

At least 2 high school districts here in michigan have announced their plan is 2 days in person, 3 days online for at least the fall semester. So they'll be in the building tuesday/thursday giving a day to sanitize and allowing for the real vitally hands on classes to happen in person. Supposedly the flexibility is also able to accommodate teachers and students that don't want to go back. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

My Wife is a SpEd teachers in a "Behaviors" classroom. When schools re-open she will return and her chances for infection are much higher than most. I'ts impossible to socially distance when a kids it trying to beat you up or harm his classmates and you are forced to restrain them...

My Wife is a SpEd teachers in a "Behaviors" classroom. When schools re-open she will return and her chances for infection are much higher than most. I'ts impossible to socially distance when a kids it trying to beat you up or harm his classmates and you are forced to restrain them...
Lassoing and hog tied's sounding like a great option from my side of lil' Donnie's walls.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
Reactions: Van
I'm thinking it's highly unlikely that anyone is back to full business as usual by September. But Schools are going to have to do some sort of partial in person classes as the current situation is a joke in many places. Small classes, with students taking turns attending a few days a week is a possibility. As for the survey that says 1 in 5 will not go back, yeah doesn't surprise me. I'm surprised at how many of my colleagues are overwhelmed to an unhealthy level by this situation. Yes there are a lot of people who are immune compromised or (like me) have immune compromised loved ones. If you wear a mask, wash your hands, don't lick any door knobs, and keep your distance things are likely to be just fine.

Tokyo is the largest city in the world and significantly higher population density than NYC. Currently they have had a total of 299 COVID deaths in Tokyo. 299!! New York has had more than 300 deaths in the last four days. Read the history of Japan's reaction to COVID. Like the U.S. they were slow and awkward to react. What's the real difference? EVERYONE wears masks in Japan and they are doing their best to socially distance when they can. I believe we can reopen a lot of things safely (including schools) with a little creative thought and a lot of masks. Unfortunately, theaters will be the last to open.

Not a teacher but I volunteer with my kids school theater group. As much as I’d like to, I don’t see a scenario where I’m allowed back into the school before 2021. If they reopen in September it’s most likely students, teachers, and essential staff only. With no extracurriculars only book learnin’. So maybe we get to do a spring play next year.

And @Van I feel for your wife. One of my best friends (she directs a lot of the plays actually) is a special ed paraeducator. She’s got some immune system stuff, and her daughter has lung issues. She has no idea what she’s going to do when schools reopen.

We're online until the fall currently and then we have a 3 plan proposal in place...

A. Return to business as usual
B. Hybrid of limited class sizes, lectures preferred delivery online, in class instruction provided with social distancing. Classroom Labs and equipment available for limited use with elevated cleaning and quarantine protocols.
C. Fully distance learning with no campus access.

We are currently preparing for Scenario B with an anticipated decision date of July 1st... as it goes recently only time will tell.

We're working under the same scenarios here, and my assumption is we will see option B once the fall comes around, barring any huge resurgence of cases. I also am leaning towards the pessimistic side of things, just solely based on how many people don't/refuse to wear a mask in public. I hate to say it, but I think this all is going to get a lot worse by late June and into July if the general population can't take these simple steps to help curtail the spread.

I also am leaning towards the pessimistic side of things, just solely based on how many people don't/refuse to wear a mask in public. I hate to say it, but I think this all is going to get a lot worse by late June and into July if the general population can't take these simple steps to help curtail the spread.
Definitely with you on this. The more I read - that a third to two thirds of people with the disease never know it - the less likely it seems we will assemble in groups of nearly any size anytime soon. I think it was NPR that was reporting that the problem is much smaller in Japan because everyone where's their mask diligently. And where people are deciding that its too long and ok to reopen, like Minnesota, deaths are spiking. I think yesterday was highest death count for one day. New York State just froze their reopening plans last night - which were to begin this morning. Rough times ahead.

It looks like most schools are pushing for option B (my wife is a teacher too!). I just don't know how that's going to function. The average modern family has two working parents. Where are those kids going to be 2-3 days a week? That's a huge financial and logistical burden that we're going to have to figure out as a society.

The Ontario Ministry of Education is still figuring it out. I'm hoping we know by August! This semester has been a s**tshow from an academic perspecive.

I am getting the feeling teacher ranks will thin.
They are already thin. Many districts in Oregon aren't requiring even a Bachelors in Ed. anymore they are so desperate for teachers.
And Devos funneling more money to For profit and religious schools isn't helping

I have so much respect for my American high school teaching counterparts. What they do, in the conditions that many do it, for what they are paid is just this side of miraculous.

We just got informed that our benefits are probably going up/getting cut next year. That's not entirely unexpected, the teachers union pushed hard for a raise that the school board couldn't really afford. Tit for tat. But I'm sitting in a dark theatre that should be filled with dance kids getting ready for a recital. I'm starting to wonder if we're going to face layoffs again. We barely survived 2008 and the subsequent fallout thru 2013, but I don't know. Has anyone else in the public school arena been hearing anything from their people?

Our district plays things Very close to the vest, and like to wait until they are sure about anything before they make a play. So far all I have heard is that I should plan to be back in person but that we should prepare to go virtual at any given moment.

I am currently planning on being allowed to do shows without audiences. Fortunately, we should be able to still afford to build at least one set, so I am trying to come up with a set that will work for both high school shows and both middle school shows. I'm thinking its finally turntable time....

As long as we can meet together with the students, we'll be fine. I can do a digital HS Tech Theater class no problem, but if I have to figure out how to teach 7th and 8th grade drama virtually..... Trying not to think about that...

I have so much respect for my American high school teaching counterparts. What they do, in the conditions that many do it, for what they are paid is just this side of miraculous.
My wife was born Canadian and her entire family is still 'North of Donnie's Wall'. She has several relatives in education and it is slightly depressing to know how much more they make. I'm glad for them, but still. One of our students did an analysis of teacher pay in our district vs other districts in the area and determined that both of us should be making approximately $30k more per year based on our location and quality of district.

As for will I return to education? The other industry my skills are best suited for is also shut down, so yeah, I'm sticking with education for the foreseeable future. My wife is more and more interested in going private sector though. She loves teaching kids, but all the other stresses are definitely getting to her.

I also teach via adjunct faculty at the University where I'm a technical director (well... was a technical director at the moment...) and they're planning on going full swing back into classes/ on campus housing/ dining at the moment. I was just informed that all performances for the fall have been cancelled, so not too sure what to expect in terms of my actual career there. But yes - I will return to the theatre in the fall if everything is going to go that way. However, I don't teach in small classrooms - the performing arts center is my classroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back