IFR Cyclorama experience?

AAMorgan

We are looking to replace a worn-out white (light natural muslin) cotton cyclorama. I had thought to replace it with an IFR fabric to avoid retreatment. A vendor discouraged me, saying that IFR fabrics had wrinkles that were impossible to remove. Does anyone have experience with an IFR cyclorama? What was yours made of and did it have bad wrinkles?

Our IFR cyc(s) do wrinkle more than the muslin one(s) they replaced. The wrinkles do stretch out but it takes a couple of days.
Our cycs end up getting "bagged" for configuration changes. "Bagged" is a Commando cloth piece about 6' wide with cables and hooks. We land the goods with their bottom pipe into the bag, put the cables between the truss batten, connect to the other side, add a brick, and then fly out. A 30' tall good becomes about 5' tall and allows us to flip ceiling panels without catching the goods.
If we were able to leave the cyc hanging all the time, I don't think the process of moving it from one batten to another would cause too many problems. Our other cyc that gets folded doesn't have any greater problems.
Unfortunately, I don't remember what the material is. I know we looked at a couple of different samples to see which we liked for lighting.
Take care,
John

I'm a pretty big fan of Garrett's cyc's. They are not cheap but they take light well, are IFR, double as a projection surface, and last forever.
I received some samples of Garriets cyc fabrics. Their IFR poly canvas CS (material: Trevira CS) looks and feels like typical cyc fabric, perhaps a little heavier with a coarser weave. They also sent their Projection Opera Creamy White PVC product, usually used for front or rear projection. Is that really suitable as a cyclorama drop?
garriets samples.jpg

White PVC is a fantastic cyc. Front or rear lighting. You don't need a bounce when rear lighting. A groundrow that goes all the way to the bottom of the cyc that is bright.
The down side of PVC is that you have to treat it very well. You need to have plenty of labor when you fold it. Imagine folding a very large projection screen and how precise you need to be. I would be hesitant to put a PVC cyc into a high school.
I see that you are in Long Beach. The Segerstrom Center in Costa Mesa has a Plastic White RP. Unfortunately, we are all closed so that you can't see an example in the wild.
Good luck!
John

The down side of PVC is that you have to treat it very well. You need to have plenty of labor when you fold it. Imagine folding a very large projection screen and how precise you need to be. I would be hesitant to put a PVC cyc into a high school.
I see that you are in Long Beach. The Segerstrom Center in Costa Mesa has a Plastic White RP. Unfortunately, we are all closed so that you can't see an example in the wild.
Thanks for the info, John. We rarely (never) move our cyclorama. How about durability vs. traditional fabrics?
My facility is in Whittier and we're closed also. Perhaps when this is over I could check it out if we're still in the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back