I'm flying to the fly Gallery

Confused

Alright so this seems like a stupid question, but I am kind of a newbie to fly systems, and thus far no one has been able to give me an answer as to what a dog is. I don't need any stupid it's a four legged creature that goes bark type of responses. However it would be nice to know what a dog is. Thank you!!!!!

Confused said:
Alright so this seems like a stupid question, but I am kind of a newbie to fly systems, and thus far no one has been able to give me an answer as to what a dog is. I don't need any stupid it's a four legged creature that goes bark type of responses. However it would be nice to know what a dog is. Thank you!!!!!

Hiya,
There is a subject on rigging here, and a week or so we had a good discussion about dogs and arbors on fly systems. May want to look it up for other details. But a "dog" in fly terms means to take a pipe and put several twists into a lineset, usually at the lock rail (where you operate the fly lines). What this does is it locks the lines together, adding a bit of security if your arbor is not balanced or being loaded. The way to dog a lineset is to take a piece of smooth burr-free open ended pipe---say normal bottom pipe about an inch thick..steel..and take your two lines that move in your fly system to go in or out, and with the pipe between them you pull and twist the lines together so the pipe is in the middle and your ropes have wrapped around each other. Twist the lines about 4 or 5 times, nice and tight, and then leaving the pipe in the twists to hold it, anchor the pipe against the back wall or to the fly system wall between some steel or arbors to hold the twist in tension. You should ask someone to show you the way they prefer to have the liens dogged at your venue...as technique and anchoring varies but the prinicple is the same. Be safe and if you do NOT know how to do something--ASK because you risk injury or a free-runaway lineset if it is not dogged or loaded and balanced right.

Hope this helps...check out the other article too.

-wolf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back