I'm so happy! I got to play with an Ion!

The EOS is built for much bigger systems than the ION. It has many more outputs available.... So it's built for a different place than the ION is. Not complaining - just pointing out that it does do more for the more money...

While true for the most part, the Ion can do pretty much anything the Eos can and the Eos really only shines in LARGE venues which use more than 3 or 4 DMX Universes, such as Broadway shows, large roadhouses and things of that nature. The Ion has 4 outputs, 2 Direct Outputs on the back of the console and then 2 more capable of being accessed using ETCNet3 for a total of 2048 Output Channels. The Eos gains you 4 more outputs for a total of 4096 but has NO Direct Outputs and all must be accessed via ETCNet3 which means more money spent on DMX Nodes and such...but then again when you're spending $35,000 on a console I don't think that kind of stuff worries you.

There was a representative from Boston Illumination Group (BIG) which is ETC's local representatives in the area at KCACTF who helped set up the console demo and even he said that the Eos has a limited advantage over the Ion that only comes out in the really large venues where you have to program possibly hundreds of movers at a time.

ETC has been graciously loaning us the EOS off and on for the last few months. We had one here for Into the Woods and another last week for a moving light/LED installation in our lobby. I have had a chance to program both on the ION and the EOS and have been incredibly impressed by both. I grew up on the Express and my first step up from that was the EOS. Needless to say it was quite a jump, never mind the hurdles to a tracking console... But after having experience on both consoles I would say there is a substantial benefit to the EOS over the ION, if you have the money that is. While it may seem like the EOS really just gives you touchscreens and faders, you don't realize how valuable it is until you sit in front of it. The speed of pulling up palettes is incredible, and while it may seem like a lot of information laid out, it is really all quite helpful and can be customized to your liking. As far as the ION goes, I like that it features the same software as the EOS and it's a great conventional board. But for programming movers, I would much rather have the EOS any day! Just my two cents.

Say hi to Rui and the gang for me.(He's been my go to rental guy for about 5 years)

Earlier today I got the word that the University is getting an Ion, and my PM and I are invited to the training.

I've been told that my theater might be getting one in the future (to replace out Expression). I cant imagine it will be the near future. :rolleyes:

I'm excited though.

sound light!! Ive seen your shows on youtube and love what you can do in 50- 60 hours!!! WOW!! You need to take a trip to Arkansas and show me what our new ion is capable of!! thanks for your art!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back