Improper Swaging Tool?

It could work... it would just take forever to do. For the terminations that 90% of people around the house/farm do I'm sure it would be fine... for something over my head I want a stamped tool.

I've actually got one of those sitting in a toolbox drawer somewhere, and it never gets touched. There's not enough of my time left on earth to swage with that thing. Nicopress tools uber alles. You want manual, electric or pneumatic? It's all good.

One of those with an impact drill might be a good option for those of us who only swage once in a while.

I actually could never see this uses in the field. If you need to do a swag where you don't have access to proper tools grab a new steel. No time during a load in to swag your own

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Better than a hammer.

I've actually got one of those sitting in a toolbox drawer somewhere, and it never gets touched. There's not enough of my time left on earth to swage with that thing. Nicopress tools uber alles. You want manual, electric or pneumatic? It's all good.

Those pneumatic swagers are the absolute shiz-nit.

Never needed an exact length, also if its something unique why not carry a spare?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Jeez, folks. There are different ways of working based on different situations – type of scenery, type of production, type of venue. We try to anticipate every variable, and carry a large set of tools and supplies for the ones we didn't. Including a large swage tool. I don't remember the last time I actually needed it onsite, but I have it there. Might be nice to save the space with a small tool that can do the once-in-a-year-unanticipated-swage. I don't carry my cabinet saw either, and occasionally have to use a circ saw in a pinch.

Jeez, folks. There are different ways of working based on different situations – type of scenery, type of production, type of venue. We try to anticipate every variable, and carry a large set of tools and supplies for the ones we didn't. Including a large swage tool. I don't remember the last time I actually needed it onsite, but I have it there. Might be nice to save the space with a small tool that can do the once-in-a-year-unanticipated-swage. I don't carry my cabinet saw either, and occasionally have to use a circ saw in a pinch.

True, but using a circ saw instead of a cabinet saw isn't the same as using a swage tool that might not get a full crimp on things. I sure don't want some heavy thing hanging over my head from steel that may or may not have been properly crimped. I sure don't see anything that says it works with "x" sleeve and that you should use "y" go/no no gauge to verify a proper crimp. I would much rather work withing a full system that is known to work as advertised.

True, but using a circ saw instead of a cabinet saw isn't the same as using a swage tool that might not get a full crimp on things. I sure don't want some heavy thing hanging over my head from steel that may or may not have been properly crimped.

Obviously. For the purposes of my comment, I was assuming the tool makes proper crimps that satisfy a go/no-go. My point is a smaller tool could come in handy, even if it's harder to use. Not if it doesn't do the job.

My biggest concern is that they do not provide a go/no-go, thus the inability to confirm the proper compression on the sleeves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back