In need of a good book or two

GBtimex

Dear Audio Experts,

I have been a lighting guy since I first got into theatre. I have avoided sound and naturally treated the sound department as a rival in whatever show I was on. Now however I am in charge of a theatre and I my ignorance of audio is far to much of a liability. I am in the process of learning all that can from friends and other sound guys. But, I would like to further my education without wasting another person's time. Is there any books that anyone would recommend for sound and sound theory. My understanding of audio is about on par with my understanding of Mandarin Chinese so if it takes several different books to cover the subject that is fine.

Please a poor soul who is trying to learn a new set of skills,

Thanks GBtimex :grin:

Last edited:
I agree with Les's suggestion of the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook, there is no other book that goes as in depth with detail as it does. Though, having read it, it is a very dry and technical book that can be very difficult to get through and understand without a strong basic knowledge of sound theory and sound equipment.

I would suggest that you first take a look at several other books such as:

The Ultimate Live Sound Operator's Handbook by Bill Gibson
or/and
Live Sound Reinforcement by Scott Hunter Stark

These both start from a much more basic level, and as a bonus each comes with an instructional DVD which makes it much easier to learn on your own.

I have to agree that Yamaha's Sound Reinforcement Handbook is great (a LITTLE outdated now). It will give you every ounce of background you need to understand everything in audioland. The trick is reading the whole book, taking it all in, and understanding it all. It goes into a fair amount of theory in such as acoustics and math for all sorts of things. When you are starting out in audio you don't need to know most of what is in this book in the way presented, but it would very much make you understand the principles much better.

The other two books suggested are also good, I do not own them but I've perused them in the past. They are a good introduction into the world of audio. You are much more likely to stick to reading them, and actually understanding what they say.

I have to agree that Yamaha's Sound Reinforcement Handbook is great (a LITTLE outdated now). It will give you every ounce of background you need to understand everything in audioland. The trick is reading the whole book, taking it all in, and understanding it all. It goes into a fair amount of theory in such as acoustics and math for all sorts of things. When you are starting out in audio you don't need to know most of what is in this book in the way presented, but it would very much make you understand the principles much better.

The other two books suggested are also good, I do not own them but I've perused them in the past. They are a good introduction into the world of audio. You are much more likely to stick to reading them, and actually understanding what they say.

I'll echo what has been said as i own both the yamaha and the stark book. both are required for the sound class its been very interesting.

One more vote for the Yamaha book. I frequently refer back to it when I am designing systems or trying to calculate stuff. Great resource and, while it is a little outdated in some ways, most of the stuff is still really the same.

Live Sound Mixing by Duncan Fry is not a bad introductory text either...

I agree with Les's suggestion of the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook, there is no other book that goes as in depth with detail as it does. Though, having read it, it is a very dry and technical book that can be very difficult to get through and understand without a strong basic knowledge of sound theory and sound equipment.

I would suggest that you first take a look at several other books such as:

The Ultimate Live Sound Operator's Handbook by Bill Gibson
or/and
Live Sound Reinforcement by Scott Hunter Stark.
I agree with the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook but have to strongly disagree with the Gibson book. There is some good information presented in The Ultimate Live Sound Operator's Handbook but that is mixed in with a large quantity of misinformation, myths and misconceptions. Much of the same content, but with a different introductory portion, is found in Gibson's The Ultimate Church Sound Operator's Handbook. Both books are easy to read and thus attractive to less technically experienced readers, however being easier to read does not justify the misinformation presented and unfortunately, the less technically experienced readers are the one most likely to be unable to separate the good info from the bad. Personally, I get the perception both in the content of the books and in the responses of the author to criticism of them that these were written by someone who is more concerned with appearing to be an expert on the subject than with actually being one.

I've personally not had a chance to read the Stark and Fry books suggested but have heard good things about them from others. The JBL Audio Engineering for Sound Reinforcement book by Eargle and Foreman is greatly a compendium of information from other sources, but also seems to be well received for being easier to read.

All the books suggested so far seem to focus on the technical aspects of mixing and live sound, but don't touch much on the process of sound design or acoustics and psychoacoustics, all of which can be important elements in creating a desired sound environment. For acoustics I would suggest the Master Handbook of Acoustics by F. Alton Everest. And for a more theatre focused option, Sound and Music for the Theatre by Deena Kaye and James Lebrecht addresses much more the process and role of sound design than the technical aspects.

I'm a bit surprised at the references to the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook being overly technical. It is much more a textbook than a narrative but for system designers and audio pros in general it is widely considered the comprehensive introductory text that sets the stage for more advanced works such as Sound System Engineering by Davis and Patronis, Sound System Design and Optimization by McCarthy, Audio Systems Design and Installation by Giddings, Handbook for Sound Engineers by Ballou, etc., all of which are more technically advanced texts common among audio pros.

The Sound Reinforcement Handbook is a little dated, as are some of the others noted, but talking to the authors of some technical books, one of the challenges faced is that the publishers may only want to issue new editions of technical books if there is sufficient new content that it will significantly increase sales. At the same time, the publisher sometimes owns at least some rights to the original content, meaning the author can't go elsewhere to publish unless they start all over with a completely new book. I'm not sure if this applies to the Sound Reinforcement Handbook but I know it is what has prevented some other audio related books from having revised versions issued. A few months ago Don Davis also mentioned that he and 'Doc' Patronis had signed to create a Fourth Edition of Sound System Engineering, so there will be at least one more edition of that seminal book.

I will ditto the suggestions for books here with the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook being at the top. I personally like Bill Gibson's "The Ultimate Church Sound Operator's Handbook" as well, but after hearing MuseAV's concerns with it, I would like to hear more about the misconceptions of his material.....perhaps in another post.:grin:

For someone new to sound, my recommendations are to pick up one of the good titles listed above, read through it and then put it into practice. You WILL need board time to become proficient at it, and then return to the book in stages after you have conquered an understanding of each possible element.

Regarding the books lacking in acoustic and psychoacoustic process, I have fought with which concept is better to start with. Routing and live mixing so you get an ear for the results and can realize first hand what you can and can't do at the console, or understanding in detail the properties of sound waves in the environment with phase issues, standing waves, reverberent fields and the like. I always seem to lean first to learning to route, mix and process.

Will you be teaching new sound operators or is this a task for someone you manage?

Also, a great resource is to check out Pro Sound Web and read from the "Study Hall". They do a great job in posting articles that are easy to understand without too much technobable.

I will ditto the suggestions for books here with the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook being at the top. I personally like Bill Gibson's "The Ultimate Church Sound Operator's Handbook" as well, but after hearing MuseAV's concerns with it, I would like to hear more about the misconceptions of his material.....perhaps in another post.:grin:
Yeah, that discussion could get messy. ;) In general, the issues I, and others, have had are not with the mixing techniques aspects but rather with the more technical aspects. For example, the roles of contractors, dealers, salespeople, Electricians, consultants, etc. seem confused, with multiple references or suggestions to contact the wrong parties. The books support esoteric cables while apparently misunderstanding some of the related basics. The books discuss "RMS Power" when there is no such thing. The discussion of gain structure is very limited and misses many critical points. Balanced wiring is explained solely in terms of signal symmetry, which is not what makes a connection or path balanced and is actually a related but separate topic. I could go on but perhaps most obvious issue is that while the books warn about the importance of proper grounding and the dangers involved, on the same page, as well as elsewhere in the text where no such warning appears, they advocate lifting the safety ground to eliminate hum. Bill's response to criticism of this is that he notes "Possible danger! Consult a qualified Electrician about your unique setup." as part of the one discussion, but he apparently refuses to acknowledge that there is anything wrong with the text of these 'non-technical' books advocating a practice that he admits is dangerous.

I think the real problem is that the Gibson books are by the author's own assertion intended for non-technical operators yet they try to address some rather technical topics. Mr. Gibson's responses to critical reviews of the books seem to indicate that he believes that because the books were intended for non-technical audiences then technical errors are acceptable. I don't understand that perspective, especially in an "Ultimate" handbook, and would personally rather see some of the technical subjects not addressed at all rather than being addressed poorly. I think these could be much better books for the intended audience if he eliminated and/or greatly reduced some of the technical discussion.

I have heard from someone involved that an offer by some well known church audio experts to provide a peer review of Bill's book and offer suggestions for improvement, for no cost, was soundly rejected. Probably no books on the subject are perfect, however I do not understand not wanting to potentially improve the content and that, along with Mr. Gibson's submitting five star reviews of his own books on Amazon, is greatly what leads to my comments regarding the apparent focus on being personally perceived as an expert rather than in providing the best information possible.

Regarding the books lacking in acoustic and psychoacoustic process, I have fought with which concept is better to start with. Routing and live mixing so you get an ear for the results and can realize first hand what you can and can't do at the console, or understanding in detail the properties of sound waves in the environment with phase issues, standing waves, reverberent fields and the like. I always seem to lean first to learning to route, mix and process.
Most people i have talked to that do a lot of training generally like to start with some basics first. Things like understanding how multiple signals interact, what causes feedback and so on. Along with books you might want to look at resources such as Sound Made Simple. There are also some resources available for the subjective aspects of mixing such as Soundman Aptitude Test.

Thanks audio guys and girls!

I have a great place to start from now and I am very grateful to hear so many different opinions on this from people who have worked a different venues. I am in the process now of hitting up the fine arts library on campus to see if they have any of the titles mentioned here. After that it's off to online stores to find the rest of the books. Thank you for the direction and the honesty of your reviews.

Here is to the day I can help out someone else trying to learn this art you guys have spent so much time learning.

Thank you all once again,

GBTimex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back