In need of a Hazer

I do. It's a small venue too, so I'll also be smelling it. And scented fog smells worse than regular fog, because it's got the smell of the burned fog fluid plus the smell of burned whatever-scent-you-use.
I'm thinking that I'm gonna go for a used DF50, because it's a heaterless machine with some of the smallest haze particles produced by any of the options.

So...AEA doesn't have a presence on your campus then?

So...AEA doesn't have a presence on your campus then?

This is for a small venue that doubles as an entertainment venue (karaoke, game night, pub night) and small band venue with a capacity of 225 or so, standing room. So no acting here, no relation to theatre dept.

But no, no AEA presence on campus anyways. We're nice to our actors though. AEA probably wouldn't have allowed us to do the set that we did a few years ago that had some steep rakes though...

Well in that case.....have fun paying the false fire alarm bill!!! ;) Seriously those **** things are expensive!

Well in that case.....have fun paying the false fire alarm bill!!! ;) Seriously those **** things are expensive!

Well, campus public safety can turn 'em off, and we don't get charged. It's something that they get paid for regularly, it's not a special thing. But it takes a crapload of DF50 haze to trip a particle detector.

While you're not getting charged I imagine the venue is.

That being said we tripped our particle detector with an F-100, a MDG hazer and a myriad of other things. I hate running the risk of tripping fire alarms in any situation especially considering the herd mentality of most audiences and the numerous trampling deaths that have happened in the last 30 years.

Just my own 2 cents on the subject.

No ability to turn the alarm off. I really want to get the funds for a DF-50, because I know that those are really good with particulate alarms, but we might not have the cash.

I want to say that our customers have successfully set off every alarm possible with our DF-50's when they left them on. As they have set them off with the Radiance as well. They wouldn't have had a problem more than likely (like all other hazers) if they would have let it run for a short time and turned it off. Repeat as it starts to thin up. Its still a bit iffy as people have mentioned on here and if you are a hotel make sure you ask an on-site engineer because if you set that alarm off, I would love to see the look on your face once they figure out it was you. :)

But yes.. I can't remember who posted it on here, but they are right.. ANY atmospheric can set off ANY alarm at ANY given time with the right conditions.

I've used Martin's Product - Jem ZR33 Hi-Mass™ and enjoyed it thourghly (yes Derek I mispelled that I'm sure). Granted I'm a big mark for Martin but the only issue I really had with it was it leaking a bit as I had it hung overhead.

I would say that I am probably one of the biggest Martin fans on this site, (At least, I'd like to think so.. :) and as much as I love all their lighting products, their Haze machines are not up to par yet. Their fog isn't to bad, but the haze is still pretty far behind. The only reason I say this, is our customer reviews, showcase comparisons and service logs. I would not dog them by any means, but when it comes to Haze they are just not there yet. They know that they are a little behind with it and they are currently improving their design and I can't wait to see it.

Ressurecting this thread just in time! I just got back to school and I'm starting to install all of the new equipment that I got, including Elation Opti 30s and some new PAR38s, along with some new gel, which we sorely needed.

I'll be pressing the case to be able to turn the alarms off or get them replaced with heat detectors, arguing that there were two Le Maitre G150s in the original install, and this is an entertainment venue, so why not allow the use of fog machines?

We did run a Le Maitre Neutron in there near the end of last semester with no issues, but we had the doors propped open to allow circulation. However, the haze was definitely up near the detector.

So I'll probably just run a G150 on low output, since they've done that dozens of times in the past. I don't pay the bills, and no one complained last time we set one off while testing the G150.

The heat detection would be your best bet but as for turning off the fire alarm, that is a huge fire hazard. I have tried pressing that case a few times (knowing they wouldn't do it) just to see if they would in a warehouse (with low ceilings) type settings. Its just a big risk because if something was to happen, somebody's going to get in some serious trouble.. :)

Alot of newer buildings can't turn off just sections of the building from what I understand. I tried my ****dest to get hotel engineers to just disable the detectors in the ballroom where we set up for the American Idol "VIP" Party a few months back. It just didn't look as good without any atmosphere in there, but they insist its not possible so I just ran it randomly for about 15 minutes. Turned it off for about 30, then put it back on for 15 more minutes throughout the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back