In Search of - Rosco IPS Status Monitor IPS-SM-101

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
I am on the hunt for a Rosco Intelligent Power Systems (IPS) Status Monitor box (IPS-SM-101). I need one for my old alma mater high school's black box. They had one a LONG time ago, have no idea where it went, it's just gone sometime in the last 18 years.

1597074680386.png

These units in many ways are similar to the Entertainment Technology IPS dimmers (that i have been cursed with). Any chance anything from ET could be compatible, giving you additional options? All mine are built into my raceways, or else I would offer assistance. Just trying to help expand your possible solutions.

Good luck!

~Dave

These units in many ways are similar to the Entertainment Technology IPS dimmers (that i have been cursed with). Any chance anything from ET could be compatible, giving you additional options? All mine are built into my raceways, or else I would offer assistance. Just trying to help expand your possible solutions.

Good luck!

~Dave
The IPS Status Monitor is a device to show the IPS dimmer talkback information when the system does not have a console that will show that info. Not sure what the IPS dimmers in your raceway have to do with the device in question other than their talkback info would be displayed on it. OP wasn't seeking additional dimmers. Just trying to decipher your comment.

The IPS Status Monitor is a device to show the IPS dimmer talkback information when the system does not have a console that will show that info. Not sure what the IPS dimmers in your raceway have to do with the device in question other than their talkback info would be displayed on it. OP wasn't seeking additional dimmers. Just trying to decipher your comment.

The ET IPS Raceway systems have the same type of device incorporated into the raceway control module for their systems. Since the Rosco dimmers were a direct predecessor to the ET systems, I was attempting to offer another option to explore for a solution. I know from experience how near-impossible it is to find legacy parts and components. I was lucky enough to source a use Rosco part to make a needed repair on my system a few years back.

~Dave

The ET IPS Raceway systems have the same type of device incorporated into the raceway control module for their systems. Since the Rosco dimmers were a direct predecessor to the ET systems, I was attempting to offer another option to explore for a solution. I know from experience how near-impossible it is to find legacy parts and components. I was lucky enough to source a use Rosco part to make a needed repair on my system a few years back.

~Dave
Doesn't each control module just adjust and monitor only the dimmers in the strip or raceway it's mounted in? I don't think they display system-wide information, which is what the Status Monitor device does. Plus, using a control module would not give you a video display of all the talkback information. When you say "IPS raceway systems" you're talking about the 40'-50' connector strips with built-in dimmers instead of the 3 or 6-dimmer portable strips correct? I've got several of the portable units.

I recycled my ET Elcipse (which had this function in its software) last year. I do still have a Rosco Horizon dongle I will part with if it has that function. It is the old kind with the 36 pin centronics connector. Let me know if you want it.
I will also warn you if you do find the device you are looking for the TTL monitors are almost impossible to find. The 9 pin CGA TTL signal isn't supported by any monitor i found. People sell converters for $1200 or so. I think I still have the CGA monitor in the prop room if you find the status monitor and need a screen.

I recycled my ET Elcipse (which had this function in its software) last year. I do still have a Rosco Horizon dongle I will part with if it has that function. It is the old kind with the 36 pin centronics connector. Let me know if you want it.
I will also warn you if you do find the device you are looking for the TTL monitors are almost impossible to find. The 9 pin CGA TTL signal isn't supported by any monitor i found. People sell converters for $1200 or so. I think I still have the CGA monitor in the prop room if you find the status monitor and need a screen.
Yes and no RE TTL monitors.....
Miracle might still make them, both in flat panel/CRT/monochrome/color varieties. The mono CRT type were/are less than $200 for a 14"; around $500 for flat panel color, but I'm not totally sure Miracle is still in business.
The other route is a TTL to VGA converter which you can find several varieties of on eBay.
I've found the "XVGAbox" unit works pretty well consistently on both MDA and CGA-type lighting consoles and you can pick one up for around $175. Also tried the Hong Kong special, around $60, which will give you a reasonable picture but depending on the specific lighting console, I can't get a full screen display.
Haven't tried the "EternalCRT" unit from NZ at about $120, but it looks promising.
Every once in a long while, you can find the elusive TTL CRT monitor at a thrift shop.

Cga-Mda-Ega-Mga-9Pin-Ttl-Monitor-Monochrome-_1.jpgMiracle TTL mon.jpgXVGAbox.pngHongKong.pngEternalcrt.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back