In the event of run away

Thank you very much for these suggestions I am currently working at a small high school in California and we have had a lot of problems with flies being improperly run and also WAY out of weight. I have been trying to find a common ground between the drama teacher and myself to keep things safe. Our next show will be using a lot of line sets and I think some of your suggestions will be put into place regarding that. ...
See also JR Clancy's site for information on Operation and Safety of rigging systems.

Clancy safety sign.jpg

Perhaps also direct users to this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...cancelled-iowa-due-damage-runaway-batten.html

Attachments

• Clancy safety sign.jpg
    Clancy safety sign.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
What is sad for me is the fact that no safety signs are anywhere near the fly's in this theatre. The TD and I are always reweighting and trying to keep things somewhere in weight and yet still...*sighs*

What is sad for me is the fact that no safety signs are anywhere near the fly's in this theatre. The TD and I are always reweighting and trying to keep things somewhere in weight and yet still...*sighs*

Perhaps this is when it's time to invest in padlocks?

I know, necropost.

....It seems to me that a much safer fly system could be built, especially for educational environments. They recently built a 1200 seat HS theater near me that has an 18" gap between the loading bridge and the arbor (73').

Instead of balancing the arbor with blocks of iron a water reservoir on the roof coupled with an automatic balance sensor and some basic plumbing could make a very efficient and safe fly line. Water is heavy and cheap, a 250 gal container is not that big, make the arbor clearance deeper and one could build 500 gal tanks for a ton of arbor weight....

What if you added a large volume of steel balls, such as ball bearings, to the water? The right pump should still be able to transfer the mixture.

Except that it's probably less expensive to use standard electric hoists.

I wish runaways never happened but there is (on average) one per week in the US alone.

Guess or research? This kind of statement needs back-up. Do you have any records to prove this?

It seems that many of you have manual counterweight systems without loading bridges - a sure recipe for disaster. Sad when you consider the cost of a loading bridge in a new build is about the cost of a single lineset or two at the most. I refuse to work on a building with manual counterweight to not have a loading bridge in all but a few re-rig projects where adding it is way beyond the project scope.

It seems to me the plumbing and controls for water systems or some other viscous based system would probably cost more than basic electric motors, but be my guess.

I believe until recently the lifts at the Lyric Opera were water powered out of the Chicago River.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS - number one rule in the event of a runaway - do not try to stop it by grabbing the hand line and thinking that you at 150? 200? whatever can stop a set that is out of weight by much more than your weight. I know of specific cases where people - at least one of whom I know personally - have been seriously injured or killed when their head hit a beam on the weigh up, and then they hit the floor on the way down. I don't know or know of anyone injured by spraying counterweights but I'm sure there are some. So other than maybe a quick try to slow the sucker with the rope lock, generally just get away - see if you can get out the upstage door or into the first row. But don't try to stop it.

As an ETCP I've been brought in after a number of accidents. Some by the venue to check things out, others by attorneys looking to establish culpability. The striking thing I've noticed is, of the accidents I've reviewed none had a single isolated event that caused the accident. In every case it's been a multi-step process. "A" happens, which is bad but wouldn't have caused an accident, but in this case "B" also happened, and we don't usually do "C" so...wham.

I commend hillbillyfunk. Perhaps the plan isn't perfect; it doesn't really matter. It's a plan and it's better than no plan. It achieves the primary goal - making people think and creates discussion in his venue. The next accident will be different, you won't be expecting it, but perhaps because they considered what to do someone will do something better.

Motorized rigging has some limited advantages. It's not the holy grail of safety by far. They work well on electrics in some cases. For the other 95% of stage rigging, it's nearly impossible to beat counterweight. With new products like JR Clancy's head block with the over speed brake (displayed at LDI), Thern's Brickhouse arbor & rope lock, wider spread use of multi-groove loft blocks, and synthetic purchase lines, counterweight rigging is about as safe of an answer as there is, IMO. Rigging, driving, eating peanut butter - it's all dangerous if you don't pay attention.

-ALWAYS call when lines are moving (except in performance). Shout it! "Line set 22 coming in mid stage!" Train your crew to respond "thank you 22". Secondly train your crew to look for actors or others on stage who are not part of the crew. Help those people by pointing out where the moving lineset is at.

i have heard that it might be smarter not to have people yell out a "thank you" since it could drown out a stop.

i have heard that it might be smarter not to have people yell out a "thank you" since it could drown out a stop.

You shouldn't move the lineset until AFTER the thank you.

I agree with Ty - and don't feel manual counterweight rigging is as dangerous as some people claim. (Exception: systems without loading bridges are dangerous and should be outlawed.) I thin motorized may be a little better than the credit it gets here.

In case it matters, I can legally put ETCP Certified Rigger-Theatre after my name as well - in the inaugural group - and host a party for all ETCP Certified Technicians at each LDI.

The industry causes could be helped a lot with more accurate data of accidents and incidents with some verifiable basis for the data. Too much tradition and anecdotes, to few facts.

My preference is having a deck chief (be it head carp, ME, whoever is in charge on the ground of whats happening with the rigging) check for clearances, let anyone nearby not paying attention know, then give the flyman the all clear/proceed (I would not use thank you for that because thats something people say a lot, proceed isn't). That way you have less talking, and less likelihood of someone not hearing a stop. Anyone yelling a STOP means stop. Seriously. I don't care if it's the janitor. Or the intern. Or whoever.

Yeah, seen that not happen. Luckily it was only equipment damaged not people. Someone yells a stop and the two people with radios (who were supposed to be watching) were paying no attention and instead having social hour. Operator was in a remote location hence the two spotters with radios. By the time someone got their attention it was over. Yeah, that worked well.

Are the arbors long enough that you could put spacers in, so loading level was higher? Many more questions but who installed it?

As an ETCP I've been brought in after a number of accidents...... The striking thing I've noticed is, of the accidents I've reviewed none had a single isolated event that caused the accident. In every case it's been a multi-step process. ......, IMO. Rigging, driving, eating peanut butter - it's all dangerous if you don't pay attention.

Like Ty, I am called in to investigate, evaluate, report and of course Repair, several accidents each year. Some minor, some more serious. I also note that incidents are a result of more than a single cause, except that ALL causes trace back to human error. I have never investigated an incident that was caused by mechanical or equipment failure. Several that "resulted" in a failure, but never one that was caused by something malfunctioning.

I agree with Bill, no counterweight system should ever be installed without a loading gallery. What is worse, is I know of a school system that has closed off their existing loading galleries because "it is too dangerous for students"!

That happened at one point at my high school. A teacher decided it was too dangerous for students to throw weights and therefore had students attempt to deal with a several hundred pound out of weight lineset. It ended up in a runaway and a student hurt (fortunately mostly rope burn and bruises).

NOT safer.

... I agree with Bill, no counterweight system should ever be installed without a loading gallery. ...
One of our (now demolished) theatres/showrooms here was built without a fly gallery, but did have a 45' JLG Sizzor Lift that lived just outside the building. Made a dandy loading gallery, <500# at a time. Problem was, the double purchase arbors were too short, and many's the time we had to spread luminaire s across multiple batten s, not due to weight, but arbor capacity. "What do you mean you can't fit any more weight on the arbor, there's only 400# worth of lights?" Hate to admit it, but glad that theatre was torn down and replaced by high-rise condos.

Are the arbors long enough that you could put spacers in, so loading level was higher? Many more questions but who installed it?

Most likely. Its a JR Clancy, that I believe was installed by Stagecraft Industries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back