The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Inbetween clearcom and walkie talkies.

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by gabe, Oct 25, 2006.

1. gabe

gabe Member

Hi, at my high school a nice clear com set isn't in our budget right now but we're all tired of using Motorala Walkie Talkies. Does anybody have some suggestions for 3 to 4 unit systems that have a mid range price (mid range for a school that is)

Thanks.

2. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    We just got a good setup from PI, production intercom. They are completely compatible with clearcom so if you want to "upgrade" later you want to, but honestly I don't think you'll want to change over after you use them for a while. Thier prices are very reasonable and affordable.

http://www.productionadvantageonline.com/production_intercom.htm

hHre's a link to one supplier of PI .

3. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Highly second that. Their gear is very simply made, but hold up much better then any other com gear I have worked with. Their headets are also better made in my opinion. They will also work with most telex systems.

4. zac850

zac850 Well-Known Member

I third Production Intercom. Got a system into my school a few years ago for a fraction of what a Clearcom system would be. Quality was the same, different button array on the packs but that was about it. Clearcom is the brand name, you pay for that.

Their on the web at http://www.beltpack.com/

5. koncept

koncept Active Member

im begining to wish we went with them at the paces i have been.

i wouldnt mind having one of the behind the head head sets and a few wireless ones for flys... *dreams*

6. JSFox

JSFox Active Member

I have a Telex BTR300 wireless system I'll sell for about $3k. Includes base, 4 beltpacks, 4 Beyer headsets (or new PH88's or PH1's if you'd prefer), anteneas, power supply, etc. Works well, but we needed 2 channels so have upgraded to a BTR800.

7. Andy_Leviss

Andy_Leviss Active Member Premium Member

Just to clarify, all of the PI brand headsets are fully compatible with ClearCom beltpacks, in addition to full PI systems being fully interchangeable with Clearcom systems. I tend to like the sound of ClearCom slightly better, but it's a difference only I'd ever notice, and because of the latching mic button on the beltpacks, I actually prefer the PI beltpacks for use with a phone-style handset.

At the shop, we actually have a bigger stock of PI than ClearCom, and typically only send ClearCom when it's specifically requested. PI boxes are generally built really sturdily, the only problem I typically see on them is noisy volume pots, but that's easy enough to fix with a good maintenance program. PI is also great about replacing/repairing broken equipment for a reasonable cost when it's not a warranty issue.

I'll generally happily work with either brand of gear, and PI is certainly a great option to look at if ClearCom is out of your budget.