Incident in the Ante Pros

Anonymous067

So today me and my lx op were hanging lights for an upcoming show today, and we had a little incident in the house right ante pro...

So my lx op was hanging lights in the left ante pro, and I was in the right. We were hanging six lights in each one, and were top and bottom hanging lights. I usually don't hang lights, but take the chance when I can because I enjoy it. I was on my third (and final) light I had to hang above the bar (arguably more difficult because you have to support the light above the bar while you tighten). As I went to swing it up before tightening the clamp down, I noticed I forgot to put on my safety cable first, so I went to swing it back down. I didn't want to have the light floating around w/o the cable.

Might I add as a tangent, hanging lights (at least in our aniprobes) is a PITA! You have to stand in such a weird position, about 12 feet up, and then try to use hands to work on the light. So I was leaning into the bars with one foot on the built in ladder and one on the bar below the lights.

Back to story-but...it was too late. The safety cable wasn't attached yet. I swung the light back down, and as I did, I ended up leaning backwards. Apparently I leaned too far back, and the light was already teetering on the bar (still with no cable). In a split second I fell backwards, a 12 foot fall. In a reach for the bar to hold on, I knocked the light off, sending it on a 30 foot fall.

As I fell down, I was able to grab out and reach the bar half way down from where I was working, catching myself. As I fell, I managed to shout "heads", though I was certain nobody was in the house. Lost one light and a lot of skin on my fingers today.

While nobody got hurt, it was a little scary!

Last edited:
I would be the one to read this entire post only to respond to one minor detail but... Aniprobes? That's a new term by me!

Man! Thats why I hate working in venues where there is no catwalk, sissor lift or lowerable rig! Ladders are the scurge of the techie.

Ladders are amazing, it just means you need to think while you work, and not screw up. As one who does all of focus and most of hang off of ladders, you just need to think straight, and keep your COM in between the rails.

Ladders are amazing, it just means you need to think while you work, and not screw up. As one who does all of focus and most of hang off of ladders, you just need to think straight, and keep your COM in between the rails.

House pipes FTMFW.... Not.
At one of our spaces, they hung a 2" pipe truss to enable a FOH position.
It's not that they're unstable or anything... just a PITMFA to work on!
it sticks out from the wall at a 60 degree ish angle... and all you have is a permanent mount ladder affixed to the wall.
The really annoying part is how to really do anything on the pipes, i need to lean through the structure... not really easy for my 6' tall frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back