Sound f/x Inexpensive and simple sound f/x pad controller recommendations?

Very small Jr./Sr. High School Theater Program. $200 is our yearly budget for everything including royalties, paint, lumber, everything.

We are looking for a multi pad controller that would be able to take care of a handful of digital recorded foley sounds.

Requirements:
-Hardware must function independently (no USB power source)
-Audio out (again, no USB as we have no computer to drive it)
-At least 8 buttons that can be assigned sounds
-Dirt cheap or homemade.

If I can come up with an inexpensive machine I believe I will be able to secure a small grant to purchase it.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

Holy Cow $200?!?

I definitely feel for you, that is outrageous. Hopefully you have some serious benefactors who contribute to your tiny budget.

Never mind...as I just re-read your initial post and saw "no computer to drive it." Though, if you could get any kind of windows machine, this sounds like a good fit.

You really need a computer to drive what you're lookig for. I suppose you could build something with 8 triggers, but it would still cost you some cash, and a fair bit of time (if I'm not mistaken). If you could get a donation of even an old piece of crap computer, this freeware program HarvestSounds - sound effects player was designed for keyboard triggers, and it will run on a machine that people would leave by the side of the road.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the feedback. Any additional ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I think I'll apply to a local electronics recycling place for a used desktop. Sometimes they donate desktops, and I'll be able to download the software that seanandkate recommended.

[A bruned CD will work you lay down all your tracks in order and push play as needed very simple and no computer.

look for a used roland sp303. actually I think that unit was marketed under the BOSS brand, but that is Roland. also there is the SP 404 and SP 505, but they are newer and will probably cost more, but brand new the 404 is around 400 i think (it's been a while since I looked at these). the newer ones definitely say Roland on them, I don't think they use the boss line anymore.

Also if you do go for the pc and the software you use will take midi, the korg nanopad for 50 bucks will give you actual pads to trigger your samples from.

SCS doesn't require alot of computer power. Even a netbook that has a headphone jack will work to send the output to your system.

Thanks for all the feedback. Any additional ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I think I'll apply to a local electronics recycling place for a used desktop. Sometimes they donate desktops, and I'll be able to download the software that seanandkate recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back