Digital Surfaces Inexpensive Cat5e for Portable Sound System

But if you are serious about your show staying alive and you need to run cat5 / 6 in unprotected paths, get 2 managed Ethernet switches, run TWO separate cables, and use trunk port groups on each switch to bond the 2 runs together. Think of it as RAID for your digital snake.

Many diigital consoles use protocols that cannot go through ethernet switches. That is the case with the OP's Soundcraft running MADI/AES 10. It's also true for Behringer's AES 50, and a host of others. They are simply not compatible with computer industry hardware. Redundancy is easy with systems running on a Dante network.

I agree with you on having more than one cable. Cat 5 cables are fragile no matter who makes it or whether it is considered rugged. Because the show depends on it, a second cable should always be available.

Many diigital consoles use protocols that cannot go through ethernet switches. That is the case with the OP's Soundcraft running MADI/AES 10. It's also true for Behringer's AES 50, and a host of others. They are simply not compatible with computer industry hardware.

Well, they're NOT "Ethernet devices" so they shouldn't be used with Ethernet hardware (unless otherwise stated)!

While both "Ethernet" and the devices we're talking about use Cat5e (etc.) cable, it doesn't mean the hardware is compatible, and non-Ethernet cables should be marked as such; in the auditorium I run only the single Ethernet cable is the standard blue colour...the other cables are RED to signify they're NOT Ethernet (and there's a note saying so).

It's the same thing with DMX cable, while it uses the same connector as XLR you can't run DMX through audio gear!

p.s. I wasn't yelling at anyone, just making sure the point was clear.

Last edited:
Well, they're NOT "Ethernet devices" so they shouldn't be used with Ethernet hardware (unless otherwise stated)!

While both "Ethernet" and the devices we're talking about use Cat5e (etc.) cable, it doesn't mean the hardware is compatible, and non-Ethernet cables should be marked as such; in the auditorium I run only the single Ethernet cable is the standard blue colour...the other cables are RED to signify they're NOT Ethernet (and there's a note saying so).

It's the same thing with DMX cable, while it uses the same connector as XLR you can't run DMX through audio gear!

p.s. I wasn't yelling at anyone, just making sure the point was clear.
@mikefellh D'YA THINK that MAY be why I'm having trouble addressing my Shure M63's, M67's, M68FC's and M267's? I've got the correct XLR3 terminators in all the unused outputs. @FMEng Have you any thoughts?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

@mikefellh D'YA THINK that MAY be why I'm having trouble addressing my Shure M63's, M67's, M68FC's and M267's? I've got the correct XLR3 terminators in all the unused outputs. @FMEng Have you any thoughts?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I think you have to address them to:

5800 West Touhy Avenue
Niles, IL
60714-4608

Users who are viewing this thread

Back