Inexpensive Earset Microphones...FYI

jonliles

Fight Leukemia
I am always looking for a bargain. It is the only way I can afford this crazy expensive hobby called theatre. So, I wanted to share this tid bit with the gang. The choir group I work with never has enough mic's (lots of pack's but no mics...Hmmm). I stumbled across these guys (thanks Gerard) microphonemadness.com . They have a Countryman Clone for a really low cost. I was skeptical, but I bought a couple and tried them out.

I was really impressed. :grin:These are certainly good value for your dollar. Nice fullrange of pick up (i did have to tone down the hi's a bit and boost the lows for a fuller sound). Minimal mic pop. Small footprint (not as small as some, but easily hidden). The double earset shapes well & they held up well to the use by active HS kids in a heavy song and dance show. They'll make them for whatever style body pack you have. And for the price, you can afford to replace them every couple of years.

I was so impressed, I ended up buying 8.

Just thought I would share. Here's the exact model I purchased (in black)

Jon

How's the fit (on the head)?

A while ago I purchased a really inexpensive headset from TOM-Audio HS-2200, via eBay ... sounded fine for basic musical theater (and especially with kids) and the price was great, however the fit around the head was pretty awkward and would require a lot of bending to make it fit well ....

For the ladies we had to bend the bands up to make them fit well, for the guys (or people with adult size heads) it was not an issue. In hind site, I would order the single ear and save myself the $15 difference...nothing a handful of bobby pins couldn't correct though...

I don't know if I'd risk the one-ear mics ... the Countryman E6i's flop all over the place -- I believe they built a dual ear clip specifically to correct that problem.

Fyi the point of these types of headset mics should be to eliminate the need for fasteners, no? ... otherwise you might as well just get a standard lav and fasten into the hairline ...

I could use Lav's in the hairline, if the school had any that still worked! There were only a couple of very petite girls that needed extra support, other than that, they worked ver y well and had great response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back